Default Has my hard disk kicked the bucket?

Everytime I start up my computer, the message 'Disk I/O error'. I've formatted the hard disk twice, and nothing ever works. When I try to go into C drive, it says 'failure reading drive'. So basically, I just need someone to confirm that my hard disk is dead, so I can go ahead and buy a new one.

Default Re: Has my hard disk kicked the bucket?

first cheak your bios settings.cheak in standard cmos setup that the drives are set to auto and the mode is set to auto. unless it is an early drive which u have to set manually.

I have done as you have suggested, and my computer detects the hdd everytime I start up, but the error still pops up just before it loads up Win 98. I still think my hdd is dead.

Hello Simon,

You should also check that the cables are firmly connected. Have the jumpers been changed recently? If so, check that they are correct.

Before you formatted the drive, did you run scandisk? If so, did scandisk report any bad sectors or unable to read the drive?

Ummm.... can't think of anything else. Someone else might know.

Cheers. Sharrea.

I have seen the same problem a few times with some older hard drives.
    as long as the cmos reconises the size of the hard drive What you need to do is using another computer or using another hard drive as the master and reconfigure the jumpers on your dodgy one to slave\secondary and simply preform a thourough scandisk form inside windows and your old disk should then be o.k once you put the jumpers back the way they were to start with.