Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Access

Default Remote Access

Hi guys,
    I was looking to access my home pc from work and also from anywhere I am where there is internet connection. I have googled and found a few softwares and other solutions (eg www.gotomypc.com) but just wonderring if any of you guys are doing just that and what particular software or tool would you recommend is secure and reliable. It can be freeware or something cheap ( .. a little broke at the moment)

cheers

ron
    Life is a struggle
    It's a fight till the end
    So keep your head up
    And fight like a man

"If you can believe than you can achieve" - Tupac Shakur

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Default Re: Remote Access

You can use Remote Desktop Connection, Log Me In, They are the 2 I use and can be setup so as you can access them even on a dynamic IP address without checking the address.

Log Me In has a free version which I have found to be good and easy to use and can be used with dynamic IP addresses

Remote Desktop Connection requires a little setting up in terms of a NO-IP type setup, personally I use www.dyndns.org because my modem can update it even if there are no PCs turned on on the network and you can use a simple webaddress to access your home from anywhere such as www.myhome.dnsalias.com.

It all really comes down to what client you prefer
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Sign up for a dynamic DNS (or choose the provider depending if your modem can keep it updated) and all you need to do once they Dynamic DNS is setup is port forward and you have access

EDIT: THIS IS A RESPONSE TO YOUR 2ND POST (forum clock put it out )

Mosquitos have 47 Teeth.

What OS are you running ?
    If XP Pro, then Remote Desktop should be fine.
    I used it at work with no-ip.org and never had any issues.
    Currently at home Im just using VNC with no-ip - all free and works fine.
    Gavin / XPD
    Forums :http://www.xpd.co.nz
    Blog : [url]http://www.xpd.co.nz/blog/url]

Quote Originally Posted by ronyville View Post
    Home pc is running XP Pro. So you are saying that I can use windows remote desktop to access my pc from anywhere.. if yes than tell me how
    Yes, I'd say so, however, I'd imagine that the computer your using to access the remote computer needs to be running windows as well.
    I personally use UltraVNC (free). It is also a window based solution, however it allows you to also access your remote computer from any java enabled web browser, or you can use any other VNC software (realVNC, tightVNC etc) to access your ultraVNC server.
    If you choose ultraVNC, install the software (only server is needed, not client) onto your remote computer, amd set it up wih a password.
    If you are behind a router you need to set up port forwarding for ports 5800 and 5900 (those are the defaults). port 5800 is used for accessing the remote computer via your web browser, and 5900 is the port for accessing it via any VNC client program.
    Once you have set up port fowarding, you can type your internet IP address into your web browser followed by :5800 (eg: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5800) or you can type the ip address into any VNC client software.

I imagine the steps are very similar for the windows remote desktop as well (although the ports will be different etc).

PS: if you use no-ip (or similar) it looks like you would simply replace the ip address with the no-ip address you have been given. (although i'm not certain about that as I haven't tried those services).

Quote Originally Posted by xpd View Post
    What OS are you running ?
    Home pc is running XP Pro. So you are saying that I can use windows remote desktop to access my pc from anywhere.. if yes than tell me how
    Life is a struggle
    It's a fight till the end
    So keep your head up
    And fight like a man

"If you can believe than you can achieve" - Tupac Shakur

Sherman, a NO-IP address is the same as a normal web address and is BY_FAR easier than remembering the IP address and checking it every day or so

If you are going to be connecting to it via PCs that don't have RDC I would suggest Log Me In (out of the two I use), all you need is a web browser...

Quote Originally Posted by The_End_Of_Reality View Post
    Sherman, a NO-IP address is the same as a normal web address and is BY_FAR easier than remembering the IP address and checking it every day or so

If you are going to be connecting to it via PCs that don't have RDC I would suggest Log Me In (out of the two I use), all you need is a web browser...
    Hmm, I thought log me in wasn't free, seems I was wrong, my mistake.
    Thanks for pointing out no-ip addresses. I've set myself up with an account now! Yay, no more logging into my BB account just to see what the current IP address is...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Hmm, I thought log me in wasn't free, seems I was wrong, my mistake.
    Thanks for pointing out no-ip addresses. I've set myself up with an account now! Yay, no more logging into my BB account just to see what the current IP address is...
    Yes, there is a free version, it does the basics, the paid version is better, but what company would give a free version with better features thatn a paid version?

No problem , Do you have a modem that can update it for you? (not having to leave a PC on to keep the adress updated)

Quote Originally Posted by The_End_Of_Reality View Post
    No problem , Do you have a modem that can update it for you? (not having to leave a PC on to keep the address updated)
    I don't know. How can I find out?