Default system restore and system volume information.

my system restore will not work - as in restore - because of a corrupt system restore file. they exist in system volume information folder. but how does one delete the corrupt file. i can see it using various programs but can't delete it. worse still it's on a serial drive so DOS drivers are not very useful. i cloned the OS to and IE removable then deleted the offending file out but when i cloned back to 'C' it would not boot saying "trap error". shutting down sys restore and starting again does not delete this corrupt file. even BartPE does not see the 'C' drive on a serial.

Default Re: system restore and system volume information.

Why not just clear them and start over?

Turn off System Restore, reboot and if you really need it turn it back on again.

Ghost is miles better.

i do use Ghost but it is not a total replacement for system restore. because the SR file in the sys restore folder in the system volume information folder is corrupt, it does not disappear when sys restore is turned off. ie i can't start afresh. it's needs to be patch removed. sys restore will create new restore points, but won't restore from them because the oldest restore point is corrupt and it won't leave....no matter what. i have turned it off and rebooted. in fact it's now turned off until i can fix it. its no use anyway. it shows as file "r8". I Think it was caused late last yr when the system crashed during a system restore point create.
    what i need is a way to DOS edit on a serial drive or a program that will edit in that folder by defeating windows security measures.
    Last edited by jtester; 14-05-2007 at 07:31 PM.

theres a program called 'move on boot' try that
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

VoidMaster

Take ownership of the file or folder and then delete it, I have done this myself awhile back.

VoidMaster

Right-click on the folder and click Properties. Click the Security tab, and ignore the message (Click OK). Click Advanced and click the Owner tab. Choose your name from the Name list. Tick "Replace owner on sub-containers and objects" and click OK. Click yes to the warning that appears.

VoidMaster

Posted in wrong thread

zqwerty solved it. if i'd know this before it could have saved a lot od hours.

VoidMaster

Can't really take credit, this sort of problem has appeared a number of times before. I don't remember who originally suggested this solution and posted the instructions above. I had occasion to use it on exactly the annoyance you had above and it worked for me as well. I cloned my main O/S partition to another partition and when it came time to delete it only the System Volume Information folder would not go away. I tried everything, all the move on boot/delete programs that I knew of, as well as using another O/S to do it and nothing worked until I took ownership as above.

I struggled on and off for about three weeks before I managed to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtester View Post
    i do use Ghost but it is not a total replacement for system restore.
    Of course it is.