Question Dual Monitors- Window too big for monitors

I have just been setting up dual monitors a large LCD as a second screen for laptop. It works fine with desktop extending across, drag and drop etc.

BUT! the size of the desktop and windows is larger than the monitor screen on both whatever I do. All the stuff is there and the window moves as the edge of the monitor is reached so the rest of the window comes into view.

It is a real pain as windows constantly move and need resizing to be seen.

Any ideas to get desktop same size as monitor real estate on both screens?

Thanks

Njd

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Dual Monitors- Window too big for monitors

Hi Njd,

Welcome to PressF1

What resolution do they run at independantly? When working together?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

I set them the same independentally or together - Laptop 1280 X 800, Extra LCD 1680 X 1050 these are the native resolutions at which they give the clearest pictures. The problem is the same at all the resolutions tried. The laptop seems to reset the size of it's desktop as the extra monitor is plugged in. I am plugging in via a VGA cable.

Njd

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Have you got yourself the latest display drivers? I know that ATi and nVidia are doing very frequent updates... Right-click on your desktop and goto Properties
    Click on Settings --> Advanced --> Adapter --> Properties --> Driver

Post back the:
    Vendor
    Date
    Version

I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Haven't had too much experience with laptops but I recall they often use 'scaling' to display resolutions higher than the native one of the LCD meaning you see a portion of the display and have to scroll to see the rest.

If this is whats happening you may have the resolution too high. Also the problem could be because the monitors are 2 different resolutions and the driver software isn't dealing with it well. If you have the option to use "dual view" then for nVidia cards that allows seperate resolution on both cards and is the best option IMO.

The Span and clone options don't work well with different resolutions, at least they never have for me.

I have updated drivers to get the latest versions.

No better.

So playing with the resolutions I can avoid the problem but the resolution needed is not best for laptop screen as not native and quite rough picture.

It does seem I cannot get different resolutions on each screen?

Thanks

NJD

hi i recently bought a s-video to s-video cable and am currently using it to connect from my pc's s-video out to an old amplifier which has an s-video in
    and from the amplifier to my tv. however even after i enable dual display nothing seems to appear on the tv. Can you guys give a guide on how to set up dual display on windows vista? Another question, as i'm connecting s-video to my amplifier, must i use another s-video cable to connect it to my tv? or the amplifier can connect to the tv by using RCA cable.

Quote Originally Posted by blackz90 View Post
    hi i recently bought a s-video to s-video cable and am currently using it to connect from my pc's s-video out to an old amplifier which has an s-video in and from the amplifier to my tv. however even after i enable dual display nothing seems to appear on the tv. Can you guys give a guide on how to set up dual display on windows vista? Another question, as i'm connecting s-video to my amplifier, must i use another s-video cable to connect it to my tv? or the amplifier can connect to the tv by using RCA cable.
    It'll be better if u use an RCA cable/plug from the back of the TV to AUX / whatever on the amp (if both have the connection).

Thats how I've connected it here. So sound from the TV (when u change channels go thru the stereo).

But you'll still get sound (obviously, from the TV and stereo, if the stereo is on and AUX has been selected).

And connect the s-video from the PC to the TV input. (which may or may not work - s-video can be fussy).

Altho, here, I'm just using the s-video to RCA adapter that came with the videocard, and using an RCA cable).

You may have to switch the TV to S-video (or video channel) mode, or whatever its got to get the signal from the PC. I take it the drivers for the videocard are installed (whats the videocard, Nvidia or ATI)??

The ATI drivers are a PITA to configure (In clone mode that is).

Well for a TV. As it'll keep changing the monitors resolution back to the TV's resolution, everytime u reboot.

And it takes a while for the settings to stick. So the resolution of an LCD monitor stays at its native resolution.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 03-06-2007 at 06:56 AM.