Thread: iTunes

Default iTunes

If I want to buy songs off iTunes store, do I have to use iTunes? I don't really want to install that.

Default Re: iTunes

I think thats why its called Itunes store.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mejobloggs View Post
    If I want to buy songs off iTunes store, do I have to use iTunes? I don't really want to install that.
    The only way to get to the iTunes store is through iTunes software.
    If you want to use an alternative application after you have downloaded the tracks you purchased you can burn the tracks to CD then re import them to remove the DRM. (a bit unnecessarily complicated if you just want to listen to music... ) You can set the preferences in iTunes so that you can organise your own music library if you prefer to.

As from about May this year, the iTunes store should begin selling DRM free music at a slightly higher bitrate than the standard DRMd stuff which will mean that it will be much easier to play purchased music on something other than an iPod ( if you don't like iPods)

It is the combination of iTunes store/iTunes music player that makes it easier to use than any other online music store/ any music playing app on the market.
    Last edited by winmacguy; 05-05-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Ok. It's just that I had heard of a few other apps you can use to put iTunes songs onto your ipod, but hadn't heard of any other way of accessing the store.

The DRM free music is what i'm after.

Altho u can use any other program u want to copy MP3's (of any bitrate) to an Ipod, like Winamp.

Saves u going to the Itunes store or using Itunes at all.

Or just rip your own.

Ok. It's just that I had heard of a few other apps you can use to put iTunes songs onto your ipod, but hadn't heard of any other way of accessing the store.

The iTunes Music Store is built into the iTunes application, so you will never be able to buy music through it with another application. As for downloaded songs, you can obviously also play them in Quicktime, but it isn't really what QuickTime is designed for (each song would have to be opened individually). EMI's catalogue will be DRM free soon, so if you download any of their songs off iTunes, then you can use whatever media organisation application you like.

Banned

The only legal online stores that have DRM free music generally are free sites that provide music as MP3 format since you can't put the DRM code onto the MP3 format and therefore you can't SELL music in the MP3 format. These sites generally provide the music for free. Otherwise if you want DRM free music you could rip your entire collection of CDs onto your computer at what ever bitrate and codec you prefer to use and then use a variety of suitable applications to load that music onto your iPod.