Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for a possible new ISP

Hi Guys

We might be giving Xtra another couple of months to see if Xtra Go Large improves, & if it does not then we may be switching ISP’s….. (Hello bandwidth cap! again )

I know a lot of people here on PressF1 like Xnet (& there is even some one from xnet (I think) on here!)

One thing that worry’s me about Xnet is how poplar they are with people here on PressF1 & on other forums like Geekzone etc…, & in past experience poplar ISP’s at one point or another in time start having issues…..

Part from Xnet / Xtra & QSI (Quicksliver internet)

Who else would you recommend?

(I am in South / East Auckland, I am about 1km / 1 ½ from our exchange.
    Before Go Large we use to use about 8 - 10 GB / bandwidth month (We where on the old Xtra Adventure 10GB bandwidth plan)
    Last edited by stu161204; 03-05-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Added extra information

Default Re: Looking for a possible new ISP

Woosh bought out QSI, so it no longer exists under that name. Xnet is really the only decent priced alternative that has decent customer service. ihug, Woosh, Orcon etc seem to often be having speed issues.

Personally, I'm with Woosh, went on their Orbit Flat Rate plan before it was discontinued. If I needed to change, Xnet would probably be my first choice.

Oh, and just for future reference, it's popular, not poplar.

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    One thing that worry’s me about Xnet is how poplar they are with people here on PressF1 & on other forums like Geekzone etc…, & in past experience poplar ISP’s at one point or another in time start having issues…..
    It worries you they are popular?
    Thats nuts.
    If/when they start having "issues" then we all leave and go to the current popular one. No big deal.

They have this reputation for a reason:
    No fee for not having tolls
    Optional to have tolls
    Good pricing
    Helpful help desk
    Not many issues

Im with Slingshot. Although I wouldn't really recommend them, I won't be moving till they have BAD problems, more likely I will move when LLU kicks in for real and these ISPs front up with expenditure in our local exchanges. Then it will be worthwhile looking around

As for Xnet, lets see how they survive when LLU does kick in

IN the meantime, Im a patient person ...
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Quote Originally Posted by roddy_boy View Post
    ihug, Woosh, Orcon etc seem to often be having speed issues.
    That what I want to know if that’s still the case today or not.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    It worries you they are popular?
    Thats nuts.
    Not really as we don’t really want to move from one crap plan/ ISP to another one that is overloaded with users as they are popular.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I have NO issues at all with Ihug! No speed problems. Have done well over 16GB in the last 48 hours!

The Broadband3 plan of Ihugs is simply brilliant! Not too expensive, and the data allowance plan is genius!

Not sure if roddy_boy is an Ihug / Orcon customer, but I _am_ with Ihug. I have workmates who're with Orcon, approx 1.5KM from the exchange. They say that Orcons fine, just a bit disappointed with the data cap.

Im less than 200m from the exchange, currently connected at 7700kbps, download speeds reaching near that all the time!

Can take screenshots as proof if you need
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    I have NO issues at all with Ihug! No speed problems. Have done well over 16GB in the last 48 hours!
    Leech!
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Yeah... Its not constant. I just happen to have a lot that I needed to down / upload. I average about 30GB a month
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Minister of Guitar. rob_on_guitar's Avatar

Im on slingshot, have no no probs what so ever. I did have one, but turned out to be a custom setting i had done

But yea, Slingshot for me.

ihug has shocking customer service - we have our phone line with them, they screwed us around so much when we joined up. We have ADSL with Woosh. Absolutely **** speeds. It may be where we are though, I don't know, we only moved in here this year. Haven't been on Orcon for awhile, but I left because of crap speeds.