Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default PSU Calculator and how much per hour my Media PC is costing in Power use

Hey all

So, I went here:
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Very cool site, the Lite version online was interesting putting my main PCs details in compared with my Media PC.
    Anyways, it recommended I have a 226watt PSU. The stock 300watt one should suffice.

Now how would I work out roughly what that's using to just sit there idly in the background? I believe that GeeXBox turns off the HDD after a few minutes, but cant remember for certain. No monitor hooked up, just to the TV which is switch off when not in use

Or do I need to provide more info to get a *rough* idea, Im not after exact numbers...

Cheers

Chill.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Default Re: PSU Calculator and how much per hour my Media PC is costing in Power use

A rough guess? Deduct HDD, optical etc, the stuff thats not doing anything while its idle.

Or note the power bill for a month, then start turing the PC off when its not in use and compare the following months power bill.

Dunno why people leave their PCs on when they aren't using them, doesn't take long to boot..........

Default Re: PSU Calculator and how much per hour my Media PC is costing in Power use

Chill, I have a power monitor that plugs in-line, showing instantaneous and cumulative consumption.

A while ago I put it in-line with just the PC tower on a previous rig (P4 2 GHz, 1024 RAM, 2 HDD 2 Optical Drives) and the average consumption was 140 watts per hour. That was 0.14 units per hour or 3.36 units a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Dunno why people leave their PCs on when they aren't using them, doesn't take long to boot..........
    I wholeheartedly agree,

Adding a monitor the cost is typically in the region of $200 -$ 300 per year (and rising) for a moderate spec PC. Failure rates are not reduced but turning off as the hardware will be obsolete well before that becomes a factor.

Interesting. We're contemplating having a solar panel installed for water heating. They reckon it'll save 75% of our two-person's household water heating costs. They say that water heating can be around 40% of total power useage. So at a cost of slightly less than $4000 we'll recoup the outlay after about ten years, without taking loss of interest into the equation.

So saving the power wasted on leaving the computer on all day would easily equal the amount saved by using solar powered heating.

Problem here is that I use the damn machine all day so switching off isn't an option!
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Google have been working on more efficient designs for PSU's. They claim the existing multi voltage designs can waste 30-45% of input power and propose using 12v only converted as required on the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Problem here is that I use the damn machine all day so switching off isn't an option!
    But thats in use.
    There are a lot of people in my town that go out all day yet the PC is left on.
    The worst ones - they leave the PC on, the TV on and a radio.
    Why? To entertain the spiders?

Consumer magazine is a great resource if you're into cutting down your power bill, they regularly have articles about this. The main question is is it worth the initial cost for the potential saving.

common recommendations are:
    Insulating older water cylinders or upgrading them
    Using cold water for washing machine
    replacing light bulbs with energy savers
    The solar water heating you mentioned
    switching off unused appliances at the wall
    Avoid excessive use of dryers
    replacing fridge / freezers more than 10 years old

A modest pc running at idle would be lucky to use 150-200W. At 200W if the power company charged 20c a KW/h that would equate to 4c an hour, 96c a day, $6.72 a week, or $350 a year. This is at the very top end in my opinion and if you only count the times when you're not really using it then it's much less.

If you don't want to shut the pc down can you put it in standby? this will greatly reduce the power consumption and restart almost instantly, the downside is some pcs don't restore reliably from standby mode.

I'd love to turn my PC off, but my bastard of a brother always hogs it up with torrent downloading. He managed to get 22GB in 6 days with Go Large when it first came out.
    Meh....

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

qazwsxokmijn, I just did 12GB in the last 24 hours

Sounds like its worth turning it off then, or putting it into Standby. Its running GeeXBox so it takes next to no time to turn on again, and data corruption aint an issue, theres nothing but a 10MB OS on the HDD that takes 2 mins to re-install

Thanks for the feedback guys
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro