Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Telecom Cell Phone Selection (Hopeless)

I have just decided to upgrade my cell phone (027-CDMA) and can not believe the lack of selection availalble. There are hundreds of fantastic GSM models available, they make the telecom selection look like they are from the sixties. Are we the only country in the world with the CDMA system?.

Banned

Default Re: Telecom Cell Phone Selection (Hopeless)

I think GSM or Global Standard for Mobile is more widely used especially by companies like Vodafone. CDMA was bought out around 2000, about the same time as GSM but wasn't widely adopted by telecoms around the world to the extent that GSM was.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshman View Post
    Are we the only country in the world with the CDMA system?.
    I think Australia had a CDMA system, but I think they are now changing over.

I believe you won't be able to use your CDMA phone in Oz after Feb next year.

Telecom are supposed to be starting selling dual mode CDMA/GSM for that purpose. I understand that only the CDMA mode will work in NZ and the GSM only in Oz. Supposed to make for cheaper roaming calls there as well.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    I think Australia had a CDMA system, but I think they are now changing over.
    CDMA is still very widely used throughout the world. It is very popular in the US, but GSM is becoming the more popular choice now. The problem in NZ was that the government required two different cell phone networks, and telecom got stuck with CDMA, while Bellsouth setup the GSM one. Back then, no one could predict which would become that most popular. A bit like HDDVD and Blueray. Having 2 different networks is one of the reason we are being screwed wth high phone calls with cell phones.

Smile Re: Telecom Cell Phone Selection (Hopeless)

Hi,

I've worked for Telecom, but always been a Vodafone customer for this very reason.
    People here are partly correct, although the GSM standard is the most commonly used system worldwide as this is the standard used in Europe and Asia, where as CDMA is mostly used in the USA, although the US now has a few GSM networks operating also, Australia is slowly decommissioning their CDMA. You can find a few CDMA Networks scattered around, for Global Roaming the GSM standard is best.

Apart from Global roaming it really comes down to who offers the best deal, due to lack of competition here in NZ the Phone Costs and Mobile Plans are way to high compared to the rest of the world, but not much we can do, so just pick the one that will give you the best plan to suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyp View Post
    The problem in NZ was that the government required two different cell phone networks, and telecom got stuck with CDMA, while Bellsouth setup the GSM one.
    The "Government" never required two different network types. Telecom opted to run a CDMA system when they upgraded their AMPs system, Bell South saw the opportunity to use GSM and compete when telecom still used AMPS.

It is a pity Telecom never opted for GSM as well, then we would have real competition as we could in many cases use the same handset and just a different SIM card.

Handset makers will manufacture for the popular market as a priority, hence the good phones are mainly GSM.

All Star

Yeah, i;ve never understood that aye.

Why are telecom providing such crapola phones ? They have NEVER had a decent selection of cellphones.

Vodafone's are awesome. And if Vodafone can't supply a phone you are keen on then jump on trademe, buy one that some user imports from JapLand and slam a SIM card in it, and you're away.

Surely Telecon must realise that its selection resembles that of an unwashed toilet.....S***ty.

Jams, read the post above.
    Telecom have no choice in the matter of the phones available for CDMA.

The major manufacturers will not build a CDMA phone for small volumes world-wide, there are major differences in the hardware between the two networks.

They backed the wrong horse several years ago. To suddenly change now has significant operational and financial ramifications, such as a complete new network.

And if they can charge customers high prices because of the incompatibility between the 2 networks, why would they ever change???
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.