Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Angry Another School Shooting (US)

The tragic day began at 7:15 a.m. yesterday, April 16th, when two people were killed in a dormitory. It was thought to be a domestic dispute.

The worst came more than two hours later, when a (another?) gunman went into Norris Hall, a science and engineering building, and began shooting students and professors.

Officials didn't release the name of the shooter but witnesses described him as a young Asian man and the New York Times gets word from federal law enforcement officials that he might have recently arrived in the United States.

The Washington Post says the shooter carried a 9mm semiautomatic and a .22-caliber handgun, "both with the serial numbers obliterated."

The Los Angeles Times says 26 people, mostly students, were being treated at several area hospitals.

In a nice piece of Page One design, USA Today goes across the top with the excerpt of an e-mail sent out by the university at 9:50 a.m.: "A gunman is loose on campus..."

Everyone spends time looking at this and other e-mails (the first came approximately half an hour earlier) as sadness turned to anger and more people began questioning whether university and police officials could have done more to prevent most of the deaths.

Me here: we get an unofficial count of 33 dead now.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Default Re: Another School Shooting (US)

The gun control thing has jumped up again...and although I have no weapons myself, I DID own some years ago.

The problem is not enacting new laws to "control" guns, but enforcing what is already on the books, federally and locally.

It is totally illegal for an alien or a naturalized citizen to own, have in possession or use a handgun in the US by federal law. This is to control concealable weapons.

They MAY own a shotgun with a barrel that's over 24 inches long and not loaded with any shot sized larger than 8, if they are naturalized as citizens, not before that.

This student (Cho Seung-Hui) is purported to have bought 2 black market handguns and he is not naturalized or a born citizen.

The real culprit here is the lax law enforcement and the black market seller of the guns.

These laws somehow get shoved under the radar and they anti-nuts go ape on the situation as they see it.

Sorry for the triple posts...but I got into the time warp again and didn't want to slow down the site clock.

I see that people are blaming such things as the campus police, the university management, gun laws but no one seems to be blaming the killer. Guess they are suffering from NZ disease. Blame everyone but the person responsible..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Like the people that go out and get guns worried about laws!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

and to add insult to injury even overseas anti-gun nuts are useing it as an excuse to banning guns, even those in other countries! cricky, the poor people are not even in the ground yet and they are already useing them as an excuse

they are blaming everything BUT the killer
    Tweak it till it breaks

It's been all over the news here Joe - the media has gotten into a frenzy about it, grabbing random students in the US to interview.

Yep it's big news here.

Someone remind me how many Americans killed in Iraq since 2003?
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yep it's big news here.

Someone remind me how many Americans killed in Iraq since 2003?
    Don't know if youse guys ever saw it on your "telly" in NZ or not, but the Vietnam "conflict" had body counts posted in the news every night.

Most times they were in the hundreds, if not thousands in some major battles.

The Iraq "war" is being dribbled to the people in the form of news "leaks" and third party info...but there are no official body counts..I guess people forget pretty quick.

The same weapon(s) used in the dorm shootings, and were used two hours later in the main school.

The lock-down policy was not implemented and there is a lot of news over that.

The shooter is described as a loner and his English Writing professor referred the shooters papers to the school's psychiatric center, as they were full of suicide and murder scenarios.

A Glock 9mm handgun receipt was found in his backpack. News stories report it as an automatic, which it is NOT.

It appears now that he was a legalized citizen and was therefor eligible to purchase the weapons in that state.

The cellphone uploads of students were running a lot faster than the big radio/tv stations around the nation. Youtube had the exclusive first, and it was the students who had the inside story before the reporters and rss feeds.