Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto updates

Default Auto updates

Hi,
    I see the update shield showing on my bottom toolbar, which, auto downloaded,but when I start the install shows it to be one that I do not want,- something similar happened to my old computer, which, once downloaded was there for ever, and undeletable,-and affected certain things in the future updates..
    This shield has come at a different time to the normal Microsoft updates, around the middle of each month.
    Where is the "downloaded" but uninstalled file located, so that I can delete it and not have to accept what I suspect could be the same file as before,under a different guise.
    Sounds melodramatic but "once bitten etc".

I know what some member's wisecracks will say -but this is all I am prepared to admit to
    effie c
    Last edited by effie c; 03-04-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Default Re: Auto updates

If u dont want the update untick it, so it doesnt install.

If u dont want it, go to the windowsupdate site and untick the update here.

After u scan for updates.

It should then stay uninstalled, and shouldnt turn up again, when the shield appears next time.

I think the updates go here:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution in one of the folders here.

Are u sure this shield belongs to the updates?

Older by the minute

If it's XP that you use,

Start/Programs/System Tools/Ssecurity Centre/then click on Autoupdates and change the settings therein.

Hi Speedy and Bryan,
    I am using XP with sp2 etc etc and all updates come in automatically- I may be paranoid but............
    I went into that site in Microsoft updates, and it says it (the file in question) is already downloaed awaiting install- which I already know.
    Hence the question, now it is downloaded where is it in my pooter,so I can get rid of it.
    effie c

Look in the folder I posted previously

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

The filename may have the KB of the update u installed / or tried to install.

Do a search for it.

Older by the minute

I am not certain but you can find what updates have been downloaded and it's in a log probably in the string I gave above.

Somewhere it asks if you want to see what downloads have been made to your computer but until I get home I can't help further.

Hi, S G & Bryan,

Now you are getting somehere- I used "Regseeker" and found what I think has to be the one - there are 5 entries, and one was hi lited with the KB 905474,number etc and it is the same one as is in Microsoft updates
    Now, if I delete this, what is to stop the auto download picking it up in the future?

It sounds paranoid and all areas I think my installation is O K anyway-as I bought this complete a year ago--- I just do not want the same problems if I am wrong, as I had in my old set up and computer

I did not see any sign of "don't ever touch me again" application, button

I am awaiting you people to verify the number and will delete it accordingly

Thanks VERY much for what you have both done- just tell me to click "delete"
    and it will be done ( I hope without interfering with the rest of the computer settings.

effie c

Quote Originally Posted by effie c View Post
    Now you are getting somehere- I used "Regseeker" and found what I think has to be the one

Now, if I delete this, what is to stop the auto download picking it up in the future?
    Err whats regseeker do? Search the registry? Does it search the hdd?

Does 905474 come up if u do a search of the hdd?

It'll most probably still come up until u go back to the Windowsupdate site and tell it not to appear again.

If this update appears on the windowsupdate site untick it and tell it not to show again or something like this.

Hi,
    I deleted that file in the registry and left a minus sign on the Micrsoft site specific to KB905474.(there is no other method of stopping that file download)
    I did a hardrive search and found that file also and deleted it- rebooted the pooter- and there it was again-the install shield telling me that I had downloaded the file and to click on install---now what?
    It appears that there has to be somewhere a cache with this file in it- and delete that--
    but, I did this,specifically from the cache that showed the named (above) file.
    Tell what else I could try?
    I assume that I am stuck with the bloody thing- perhaps my paranoia is making a mountain out of a molehill and I could just carry the risk- but I will wait for you first

effie c

Now go to the windowsupdate site scan, if its in the updates click on the + and tick the box/box below it then kill IE / FF / whatever u use.