Default Mysterious & Unknown

Pushed under the mobo two right size soft rubber bushes to save the PCB from bending & accidental breaking by laying the PC flat on a table. When started, DISK BOOT FAILURE....message came up. Was also not identifying the two HDs.

One HD is IDE type which is slave to a DVD-RW. Unplugged their power supply & restarted. The PC started working!

Can anyone please explain why it failed first & then worked. Also, a bit later after running, a 'switching off' sound is regularly heard from the location of the IDE units. Why this sound; also how can I restore both units without disrupting the 'peace of mind' of the PC.

Default Re: Mysterious & Unknown

Might have discharged some static electricity when the rubber bushes came into contact though I have no idea why the sound occurs.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Why did you think the motherboard would crack if the case was on its side? Do you have a monster-sized heatsink cooler that weighs a tonne installed?

You might have knocked loose the IDE cables when you were messing around with the rubber bits. The noise could be anything. If you take the side of the case off, does it help pin-point its source? Is it a one-off "tick" say every 10 minutes or more regular? Do you have power saving management powering down the drives?

Thanks guys. I was prepared before touching the PC. But I don't ignore the chance that it static electricity still could be there flowing from the body.

The CPU cooler is normal.The risk I found was:
    On the mounting surface of the case (microATX/ATX), I could find two screw holdes flat & other 3 o 4 with raised receiving ends. So I found at times that the mobo margines running between the raised & flat points curving downwards with a little pressure. The sound was a 'one off'. Don't know if there was powering down set to do so in the BIOS. Will check it. Anyway, thanks again to both of you.