Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VITAMIN C IN DRINKS

I know there is a current post on Ribena but it's gone a little O.T.

It might be of interest to pass on this information.

I had close friend, a senior production control scientist with a well known multinational foodstuffs and feeding company, told me 40 years ago that vitamin C added to or in diluted fruit drinks was quite unstable and by the time it reached the consumer it was virtually zero.

Make of this what you will!

Pedant and proud of it

Default Re: VITAMIN C IN DRINKS

The powder mix drinks will probably have the stated amount of vitamin C when made up. They contain synthetic ascorbic acid.

High temperatures will decompose vitamin C, and that could occur in pasteurisation or pressure cooking. Both of these processes are probably used in production from "natural" sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L View Post
    The powder mix drinks will probably have the stated amount of vitamin C when made up. They contain synthetic ascorbic acid.

High temperatures will decompose vitamin C, and that could occur in pasteurisation or pressure cooking. Both of these processes are probably used in production from "natural" sources.
    Some drinks they add artificial vitamin C, which is the synthetic ascorbic acid. I am not sure if this breaks down.
    Other drinks such as Charlies orange juice, which I assume is all natural orange juice, it would contain natural vitamin C, which should stay in the drink.

Why is everyone suddenly interested in how much vitamin is in their drinks.You're as bad as these people spouting about fat is bad for you , and all the rest of the "bad for you" foods.
    People have lived on earth for thousands of years without knowing what a vitamin was.
    People have been feeding on Hamburgers and fish and chips. They are still alive
    Why has everyone got so interested in them now?
    I suspect the "do gooders" who know absolutely nothing about everything and try to tell the world how clever they are.

If you enjoy something eat it or drink it. My main cooking utensil is the frying pan. And I'm not fat! Or I believe the new pc word for it is obese.
    I buy fish and chips at least twice a week. I am a heavy smoker. And I am still healthy enough to enjoy life.
    And I get mad every time I hear this nonsense about "it's bad for you"

Now everyone jump on me.
    Jack GOF.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ View Post
    you mean those big wallowing tubs of lard (oops....i mean obese people) are actually alive? not for long. its the large amount of obese people and the problems they have which has put food nutrition in the spotlight.

People have lived on earth for thousands of years without knowing what a vitamin was.
    :
    a lot of animals naturally know where the best food is, which grass contains the best minerals etc. unfortunately us humans have lost that ability.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    its the large amount of obese people and the problems they have which has put food nutrition in the spotlight.

a lot of animals naturally know where the best food is, which grass contains the best minerals etc. unfortunately us humans have lost that ability.
    Whether fat people have a health problem or not is their business.
    And theres fuss because a lot of the population has too much nutrition? Of course, when large numbers had or have insufficient nutrtion then theres no media attention.
    Its stupid.
    And fussing about vitamin C is stupid. We don't have a shortage of it here in NZ, you take extra its one of the few that you will just pee out anyway.

As for animals knowing, bollocks, plenty of animals starve. And ask any pregnant woman what a food craving si all about if you think we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Until my taxes start being used to 'resolve' issues caused by their obesity (assuming that person is responsible for their condition - a whole different discussion!)!!

And fussing about vitamin C is stupid. We don't have a shortage of it here in NZ, you take extra its one of the few that you will just pee out anyway.
    Same argument for genetically modified food - my digestive system consumes molecules, not genes... But that's getting off topic.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

And theres fuss because a lot of the population has too much nutrition? Of course, when large numbers had or have insufficient nutrition then theres no media attention.
    Its stupid.

As for animals knowing, bollocks, plenty of animals starve. And ask any pregnant woman what a food craving si all about if you think we don't know.
    well it is my business and yours too. seeing as we are paying to fix them up all the time. i'd rather be paying for fixing someones non-self inflicted health problem.

obesity is not "too much nutrition", its actually a lack of nutrition. sorry but sugar and fat isn't healthy nutrition.

its not that we don't have a shortage of vitamin C etc, its people just don't eat fruit etc so vitamin C becomes a yet another marketing ploy to suck in consumers.

As for animals knowing, bollocks, plenty of animals starve.
    nothing to do with starving. obviously your not a hunter. have a look where wild deer and other animals feed. they will ignore perfectly good looking grass but they will go for the grass on the slips etc where all the nutrients get washed out of the ground. do you know any person who can tell the difference in nutrition between veges on the counter in the supermarket just by looking ?
    Tweak it till it breaks

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ View Post
    Why is everyone suddenly interested in how much vitamin is in their drinks.You're as bad as these people spouting about fat is bad for you , and all the rest of the "bad for you" foods.
    I suspect the "do gooders" who know absolutely nothing about everything and try to tell the world how clever they are.

If you enjoy something eat it or drink it. My main cooking utensil is the frying pan. And I'm not fat! Or I believe the new pc word for it is obese.
    I buy fish and chips at least twice a week. I am a heavy smoker. And I am still healthy enough to enjoy life.
    And I get mad every time I hear this nonsense about "it's bad for you"

Now everyone jump on me.
    Chill out Jack. Too much stress is bad for you
    No cloud is perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by dolby digital View Post
    Chill out Jack. Too much stress is bad for you
    LOL... and don't give up smoking, it will stress you too much (seriously- my doctor told me. Didn't stop me giving up and feeling like crap!)
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock