Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Editorial Director

Default I'm finding TVNZ's new video ondemand service totally unworkable

Shorts and previews stutter, and episode downloads (half a gig each) freeze. Good on them for giving it a go, but it aint happening for my PC yet. Anyone out there able to make it work?

Mmmmmmmm.............Kate Tukapa's Avatar

Default Re: I'm finding TVNZ's new video ondemand service totally unworkable

I'm just watching the 1977 Top Town final (brings back memories) and it's going fine for me at full screen. I just wish you could resize the picture to the size that suited you instead of having to choose one of the preset sizes.
    Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

Yep, last night I watched a free stream of Piha Rescue, I did not watch all of it , only a few mins of it to see what its like ( you need flash to watch the free streams)

For those who do not know what Chris Keall is on about have a look here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3999650a13.html & http://www.stuff.co.nz/3999537a1860.html

Here is the official website: http://www.tvnzondemand.co.nz

in for the kill

How can they offer 500mb downloads when virtually everyone in NZ has a net cap :\

Trailers ran fine for me.

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Trailers are fine for me too, I also notice that they use WMV my guess is it has crap attached to it , I downloaded an ep of *shudder* Shortland Street *shudder* (212MB) only cause my Mum watches it and I am going to see what she says about it, when I went to play it, it had to upgrade some components on WMP 11... and it wants me to login or setup an account... I setup an account and it uses play points... Strange...

EDIT Here is the E-Mail I just got from them:
    Thank you for registering

Welcome to TVNZ ondemand and thank you for registering with us. We hope you have enjoyed what you've seen so far.
    Your new account has been set up with 10 FREE TVNZ PlayPoints so you can sample the downloads TVNZ ondemand has to offer free of charge.

Once you have used these free PlayPoints, you can purchase additional points by using your credit card.

PlayPoints can be purchased in batches of $10, $20, $50 or $100 and the average half-hour show will cost you just 4 TVNZ PlayPoints ($2).

Streaming video content on TVNZ ondemand, such as the News and some locally-made shows, is free. You only pay for downloadable videos of select shows.

TVNZ ondemand gives you the freedom to watch the shows you love, whenever you want to. You can use it to catch up on the latest news or a favourite episode of Shortland Street and much more. With TVNZ ondemand you needn't miss a moment ever again.

We'll keep in touch

We'll be sending you regular email newsletters that will keep you up to speed with some of the great new shows we're continuously adding to the site.

We also recommend that you add TVNZ ondemand to your Favourites folder so that your favourite shows are never further than a click away.

We welcome your feedback

Please feel free to let us know how you’re enjoying the service.

Your comments will help us to refine and improve TVNZ ondemand.
    Kind regards,
    The TVNZ ondemand team
    Last edited by The_End_Of_Reality; 21-03-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by trinsic View Post
    How can they offer 500mb downloads when virtually everyone in NZ has a net cap :\
    Or no cap

Most people have big enough caps that they can download that file size fine, & the people who have smaller caps normally wont go to sites like that one any way as they know there cap wont last long

Quote Originally Posted by trinsic View Post

Trailers ran fine for me.
    Theres nothing stopping people buying xtra bandwidth. It quite cheap too if you are with the right ISP

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

I gave it a quick go and it worked ok, smoothly, good picture but first I had to disable hosts file which has a zillion ad.doubleclick sites in it
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

in for the kill

Quote Originally Posted by rogerp View Post
    Theres nothing stopping people buying xtra bandwidth. It quite cheap too if you are with the right ISP
    Curse Xtra and there ability to provide extra bandwidth or lack thereof. The $90 dissconnection fee is looking good about now.

I have been watching it since this morning and is smooth as. I have not found any problem so far. For full screen I installed the latest Flash player.