Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessories

Default Accessories

I go to "start", then "all programs", then "accessories" and then "entertainment", however, there is nothing in entertainment any more. I used to see "games" and "sound recorder" but no more.
    I went to "control panel" , "add/remove Windows components" "accessories and Utilities" is un-clicked. So, I ticked it, it then starts to look at what files I have, it then asks me to insert a disk in drive A !!! My XP Prof. came on a CD, but even after trying to change the drive from A to D, it will or cannot find whatever is required. I then decided to re-install XP Pro, put the CD in the drive and it tells me after a while that the programme on my computer is a newer version then is on my CD. And won't install, I presume because of all the updates etc.

I have obviously done something very stupid to no longer have "entertainment but I sure would like it back.

Any suggestions please?

Leo

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Default Re: Accessories

First check that if the games are available on your computer, to do so.....
    Explore your C: drive with a right click and "Explore"

Open Folder named “Windows”
    (if it shows warning just click “show hidden files” from left tree area).

Open “System32” folder.

Here check for your game, if you find it..... copy it where you want, or right click on your game file, click “send to” then click “desktop (create shortcut).

It will make shortcut on your desktop.

From here you can drag it to your Accessories area by left clicking on it, drag it to the Start button (wait a moment and the card will open up), and keeping your left button pressed, you can go all the way to Accessories this way or drop it anyplace else you want. It's your choice.

You will need to do this for any/all you want to be there if others are missing too.

But if the files are not there, you have to bring them back.....and to do so...-

Get to your control panel and click on it.

Look for “Add or remove programs”. (Usually second or third in list)

Click “add/remove windows components”

Select “Accessories and utilities” then click “Details” button

Click check mark on games

Click OK, and then click next.

Insert your XP cd disc in your CD drive.

It will reinstall your games again.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Thank you very much for all that. However.....The "games" or "sound recorder" are not in the "System 32" folder.
    I went to "control panel" , "add/remove Windows components" "accessories and Utilities" is un-clicked. So, I ticked it, it then starts to look at what files I have, it then asks me to insert a disk in drive A !!! My XP Prof. came on a CD, but even after trying to change the drive from A to D, it will or cannot find whatever is required.

An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

ok, heard you the first time.... oddly enough you don't (or shouldn't) need the cd to "reinstall" accessories. all "removing" them does is removes the shortcuts, it doesn't actually remove them from the harddrive....

did you look for "games"? if so, don't. look for "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshearts.exe" and/or "C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmine.exe"

if they aren't there someone or something has removed them. any viruses/children/bosses/friends been near your pc lately?

EDIT: now i know this contradicts what surferjoe said, but i'm pretty sure he's wrong. sorry in advance if this isn't the case
    Last edited by motorbyclist; 13-03-2007 at 11:49 PM.
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    ok, heard you the first time.... oddly enough you don't (or shouldn't) need the cd to "reinstall" accessories. all "removing" them does is removes the shortcuts, it doesn't actually remove them from the harddrive....

did you look for "games"? if so, don't. look for "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshearts.exe" and/or "C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmine.exe"

if they aren't there someone or something has removed them. any viruses/children/bosses/friends been near your pc lately?

EDIT: now i know this contradicts what surferjoe said, but i'm pretty sure he's wrong. sorry in advance if this isn't the case
    Hey...I got that info from a M$ site that dealt with the same problem, tried it out myself (I had deleted the on-line interactive games) and tried to re-install them that same way and it worked.

I like to try these things out for myself if I stumble upon them..but somehow, there are differences in systems (oh, yeah..I've seen that a few times before) and it may not work as transcribed by me.

I CAN see my games in the system32 folder...so I wonder if there's a different place for them to reside in...say..XP Home or Media editions...

I am going to do a search for that winmine.exe and see that as it is a new one to me too.

Will get back later...after all, I am retired and got a little time here...as long as it doesn't interfere with my trout fishing today at dusk.

OK..did it, and here's the results:

I just put C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmine.exe in my Firefox browser, and a card opened up telling me it's in C:\WINDOWS\system32. So I guess that's where they reside, at least on my system.

I get an option at that time to "save" the file..for whatever reason that pops up I don't know...but maybe that's the answer too. You might try saving it from there and see if that resolves the issue...let me know.

Now, to go a little further, I took the games out..both the winmines and hearts, and guess what? They couldn't be found with the browser search. Soooooo? Sumpthin' stinks here......Then I did a re-install with the cd-rom and they are back.

This has GOTTA work.

Whether this is the act of malware or someone playing with the user's system, I don't know from this end..but games just don't up and walk away...in fact they stick well and aren't usually the target of spyware or trojans...OK, maybe a "funny" trojan if that's possible.

motorbyclist.....I think this person was referencing that they were looking in START>> Programs>> Accessories>> Games..etc for them and didn't see them there. I know I had taken out the interactive games, as I don't care for that sort of stuff, and I did get them re-installed..or possibly triggered them back into existence when I did the cd-rom repair...so that shouldda worked for them if the games are truly gone and not just toggled off or away from view.
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 14-03-2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: extra testing

motorbyclist
    Thank you for that. However these files are just not there. I am the only person using this computer and is scanned every morning for virus and spyware.

SurferJoe46

Thank you for you reply also. When I typed in C:/WINDOWS/system32/winmine.exe.
    This is the reply I got:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at /C:/WINDOWS/system32/winmine.exe

You also said: Then I did a re-install with the cd-rom and they are back. Did you re-install XP completely?? I would prefer not to do that as it would take me ages to get all my other programs back in....!!! I don't particularly want the games back as I don't play games but I sure miss "sound recorder"

Hope you did not miss the BIG one when you went fishing.

Thanks again

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
    motorbyclist
    Thank you for that. However these files are just not there. I am the only person using this computer and is scanned every morning for virus and spyware.

SurferJoe46

Thank you for you reply also. When I typed in C:/WINDOWS/system32/winmine.exe.
    This is the reply I got:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at /C:/WINDOWS/system32/winmine.exe

You also said: Then I did a re-install with the cd-rom and they are back. Did you re-install XP completely?? I would prefer not to do that as it would take me ages to get all my other programs back in....!!! I don't particularly want the games back as I don't play games but I sure miss "sound recorder"

Hope you did not miss the BIG one when you went fishing.

Thanks again

Leo
    I just clicked on the games I had deleted for the test in the ADD Programs area and inserted the XP cd-rom, and it went right to it all by itself...it was so easy I didn't ever think there'd be any problem for anyone else.

The evidence is that you have completely lost them because the address bar cannot find the files in the the system32 area where the games once lived, and now need to re-install them again.

I didn't do a complete or repair install..just let Windows find the files it needed while the disc was in a drive...and I never got the "A" drive problem either.

Fish results here.

A few shots around the lake (Lake Hemet, California) [those are links]

A few nice trout that are already eaten and being digested as I write this reply....and large guy you see in those pictures is not me..but my rather rotund friend and great buddy, Dave King..it's his boat and I had to say something nice about him.

More Lake Hemet links....here...here

Will have some YouTube uploads tomorrow of some wildlife and such around the lake when I was there today.....I'll bump this post for that.....when I post the links.....but if you want, you can go to YouTube and type in "SurferJoe46" and subscribe to my uploads there if you like. (Or use this link)

Trouble is that there's some nasty stuff that's being handled by YouTube for me that somebody put on the site under my name as favorites...they are not!!!

ok, so according to both of us (surferjoe) the games and presumably application files are missing from leendert's hard disk

why, i dunno

why he cannot reinstall from cd, well that's just windows for you

most peculiar..

oh, i use xp pro, but the whole games/apps thing works the same in xp home, nt, and 2000. win98 too if i remember correctly.

and winmine.exe is minesweeper if you couldn't tell. a more effective way to find the file is to go Start>Search and type in the file name and if you like restrict the search to within the windows directory.
    or if you like using address bars, open a folder or windows explorer and go to C:/WINDOWS/system32/ and look. selecting a random file and pressing "w" will take you straight to the nearest file beginning with "w" making the manual searching process a bit faster. just while you're in there don't hit the delete key
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

nice catch, but isn't that lake for drinking water? seems a bit silly having a boat ramp to go mess up your water supply

we aren't even allowed to swim in water reservoirs over here... or atleast the nihotupu ones (in the waitakere ranges, supplying a third of auckland's water)
    Last edited by motorbyclist; 15-03-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Smile Re: Accessories

I serched for C:/WINDOWS/system32/winmine.exe using AvaFind - a very good program - with no luck. Then for winmine.exe, still no luck; But looking for Minesweeper did the trick.

The games on my XP Home system are in Start, Programs, Games. I think I put them there myself a long time ago.

I also used Windows Serch with no success.

Then I remembered that the icon will tell where the program is, if you can find it, the icon that is. On my system it is

"%SystemRoot%\System32\winmine.exe"

Hope that helps