John L.

Default RJ45 To USB adapter

Hi all,
    Firstly I would like to say thank you to those who replied to my query about my machine waiting for input on bootup. I think it was related to the cmos battery as several mentioned. It came right of it's own accord. So probably a dry connection somewhere and it will be back some time.

Now a new one.

I have a USB printer/copier that I want to make available to the home network at all times. It is currently connected to the desktop which of course limits the time it is available to when the desktop is on.

I have a DlinkG604T wireless router. On this are two spare RJ45 ports. It has DHCP address allocating software built in. I thought easy just find a RJ45 to USB adapter. Oh OH! you can get USB to RJ45 but not the other way around.

I know I could probably do it using a dedicated print server attached to the router but this is not the route I wish to take. I tried a USB print server that was built into an earlier elcheapo ADSL router and had no end of trouble. So much so that I gave up on the print server capabilities and upgraded the router anyway.

I firstly wonder why RJ45 to USB is not available?
    I could use gender benders etc to get the USB to RJ45 adapter to connect but would it work?
    Any other ideas anyone?
    If not I guess it might mean upgrading the printer to either wireless or RJ45 network capable.

Regards John L.

Default Re: RJ45 To USB adapter

Quote Originally Posted by k9.college_napier@xtra.co View Post

I firstly wonder why RJ45 to USB is not available?
    I could use gender benders etc to get the USB to RJ45 adapter to connect but would it work?
    Any other ideas anyone?
    If not I guess it might mean upgrading the printer to either wireless or RJ45 network capable.

Regards John L.
    1) RJ45 to USB adaptors are not available as "adaptors", because you cannot simply plug a USB device into a network port. You can get (as you identified) USB print servers, but they are not always guaranteed to work. In fact, quite often only the printing function will work, and you won't be able to scan due to the nature of the software.

2) Short answer no, because a USB-RJ45 "adaptor" is actually a USB network card.

I think your only option is to set up a dedicated print server of some description. Try one of those small network USB print servers which are available on the market (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.fil...gs/CTG0001804), and see how you get on.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

got an old pc laying round, this can loaded off floppy and run in ram

freesco (very small linux distro that can be a http, print or ftp server) uses raw or lpr ip printing very easy to setup also.
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

John L.

Thanks people. Unfortunately even the lynix freesco software router isn't a runner as the only spare computer I have around only has an RS232 Serial port not a USB and the same problem applies. It also doesn't have a PCI port so I cant even put a USB card in it.

But thanks for your replies anyway. I guess my only real option is a printer upgrade.

Regards John L.

Quote Originally Posted by John L
    But thanks for your replies anyway. I guess my only real option is a printer upgrade.
    Was about to suggest that as I was reading, but see you have come to the same conclusion. You could also try a new router with a built in print server, but I think most of those are ethernet anyway.

As an aside, USB in networks is a pain in the neck.

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

I suspect you don't want to do this, but why not leave the pc on. Turn the monitor off when not in use and you might be able to fine tune the power saving capabilities of Windows and still be able to use the printer. This might be an interim solution until you NEED to upgrade the printer.
    No cloud is perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by Murray P View Post
    Was about to suggest that as I was reading, but see you have come to the same conclusion. You could also try a new router with a built in print server, but I think most of those are ethernet anyway.

As an aside, USB in networks is a pain in the neck.
    You are not wrong there!!!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

On a side note: cancel your current account and rejoin, using your email address like that opens the door to spammers.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter