Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Admin Password needed

Hi All I just bought a Old Computer it has XPPro on it. It used to belong to a School, The Password was put there probley by one of the Teachers or staff. I have been told there is nothing Important on the Hard Drive because it was wiped. I used to have a program that would search for old passwords on the Drive via dos But cant remember the name of it. Does any one know of a File that can be deleted Like win98 can, That will wipe that admin password so I can gain access

Cheers and Thanks

Default Re: Admin Password needed

Well either ring whoever had it previously, and ask for the password.

But then why would any pw be on it if someone formatted it? Or format it again.

As I said it has XPpro on it. and its password protected.
    Like I said it was origonally passworded by one of the staff or the Admin. No one at the School knows who, as there was 50 computers in the sale. I bought it as they said a new Installation of XpPro is on the Drive.
    I Just thought there was some Brain on F1 that would know How to bypass the Admin login Cheers

/home/fridge$ ./morebeer

Quote Originally Posted by Ockerr View Post
    As I said it has XPpro on it. and its password protected.
    Like I said it was origonally passworded by one of the staff or the Admin. No one at the School knows who, as there was 50 computers in the sale. I bought it as they said a new Installation of XpPro is on the Drive.
    I Just thought there was some Brain on F1 that would know How to bypass the Admin login Cheers
    Meh, whats the use of a password if it can be bypassed?...LOL, There are some apps out there that read the cache, however, the programme has to be loaded and someone will have to use the admin account to collect the info.

Are you sure they put a password on the admin account?
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

/home/fridge$ ./morebeer

There used to be a linux livecd called Astrumi? or some such - you could boot from it and nuke any windows passwords.
    Try googling - always turns up something
    Did you get a winxp cd with it? - if so you could always do a reinstall - at least then you would KNOW there was no garbage left on it.

/home/fridge$ ./morebeer

Correct me if I'm wrong here - but is a school allowed to sell off a PC with Windows still on it? Since the OS is probably an edu-dept-only deal and part of a bulk license purchase, I would have thought they would have to sell the hardware only - eg: formatted and empty...

Might be wrong and usually am but in XP (home edition) try/Control Panel/User Accounts there is an option to change or remove your password. I would assume there is a similar sort of system to change or alter the password in XP Pro-but it may require administrative rights-people more well versed in this situation will help you out. My local IT guy managed to bypass my P/W when I forgot to tell him what it was-in his words- "it just took a couple of keystrokes"- so it would appear to be quite a simple process on the surface. Probably no help at all but the solution appears to be quite simple so long as you know where to look.
    Regards Gordon.

/home/fridge$ ./morebeer

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon62 View Post
    Might be wrong and usually am but in XP (home edition) try/Control Panel/User Accounts there is an option to change or remove your password.
    From what I can tell he cant get into the PC at all - eg: he needs a password to get into windoze first - before he can reach control panel etc...

Quote Originally Posted by racepics View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here - but is a school allowed to sell off a PC with Windows still on it? Since the OS is probably an edu-dept-only deal and part of a bulk license purchase, I would have thought they would have to sell the hardware only - eg: formatted and empty...
    You are absolutely correct. Microsoft did a deal with the Ministry of Education, giving schools a volume licence key for OS's and Office software, but we are absolutely not allowed to on-sell the software! This is a HUGE breach of the contract.