Thread: Media Problem

Default Media Problem

HELP!!

LOL Problem: I cannot play any kind of media on any kind of media player. I cannot play media on windows media player, VLC, Real Media.

When i try to begin a clip, it say's "opening media" but it will never play. When I close the player device, and then hit Ctr-Alt-Del it says that whichever media device I chose, is not responding. After I close it in the Ctl-Alt-Del window, the computer freezes. It was working fine, and then all of the sudden starting doing this. I have reinstalled the players and codecs a couple times.

I am on Win 98 with no Win 98 Disk. \

Any help would be much appretiated.

Thanks

I was getting help from IRMoon, who was leading me in the right direction. I reinstalled the video and audio drivers, but I am having a problem with an "Unknown Device" in the device manager. Because it is "unknown" the computer does not and will not install a driver for it. I still have no sound, and the media still will not play, and freezes the computer.

I recently tried to install a webcam nad it wanted the Win 98 CD, which I do not have, so I discontinued the install. And that is when the problems began.

I am so lost now, anyone have any ideas, even if I have to start over? Many thanks

Default Re: Media Problem

Original thread

Did you try playing some media files before you installed any codecs? They can mess up things at times.

When you were installing the webcam driver, did you use the one for Win98 specifically or did you try a driver for a different version of Windows?

Download CCleaner and let it take a look at the registry for problems. You may have left over keys from the web camera installation attempt. Make sure you select to backup the registry first when it asks before letting it fix any problems.

Under what section in the Hardware Manager does the "unknown device" display?

Default Re: Media Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Original thread

Did you try playing some media files before you installed any codecs? They can mess up things at times.

When you were installing the webcam driver, did you use the one for Win98 specifically or did you try a driver for a different version of Windows?

Download CCleaner and let it take a look at the registry for problems. You may have left over keys from the web camera installation attempt. Make sure you select to backup the registry first when it asks before letting it fix any problems.

Under what section in the Hardware Manager does the "unknown device" display?

Hi!

The cam is supposed to work with Win 98. I have scratched that idea. Media did play before AND after the partial web cam install. And media played for a day after, then all of the sudden it stopped. I re installed the video drivers, and I can now play media, but now with no sound. So it seems that the problem lies with the sound card. However, it also seems that the win 98se sound card drives may have their own issues, like trying to get them! LOL. Basically, I do not know which is the right sound card or the right drivers for win 98 se. Or, where to get them.

Under sound, video, and game controllers, in the divice manager, it lists:

SB PCI (WDM)
    and below that:
    Unknown device with an exclamation point.

This is where I am lost. I do have everest, so I can find that info if need be.

Thanks