Default Email timestamp/spam question

I do some development for a club I belong to. We have a mailing list of about 300. We administer this through an Access app that I developed. Since we got a broadband connection we are having problems with the bulk emails being labelled as spam and rejected by the ISP. As far as I can find out there are two issues - the number of emails being sent at once, and the time between each one. What I can't find out is what timestamp is used to decide when each is sent, and how fine-grained it is. If you look in the Outlook outbox, the emails are shown as hh:mm for the time (i.e. no seconds) but if you look in the header, it is down to seconds.

So my questions are:

What time does the ISP use to decide the interval between emails - the time it got to the outbox, the time it arrived at the ISP, or what?

How do other organisations with large legitimate mailing lists deal with this - I can't believe we are the first to face this issue?

We also have the problem that some emails are being rejected because we use bcc for the recipient address for privacy reasons, and some servers appear to reject bcc emails. I could change the app to send individual emails, but then we get back to the other problems above.

Anyone got any suggestions?

TIA,

Tony

Default Re: Email timestamp/spam question

Xtra for example have a limit of 99 addresses per email. How many are you trying to send in each BCC field?

You could have it done online, there are free scripts that you can install onto a server that will process newsletters, sending them out in small batches etc. Or you could sigh up with someone already offering this service.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

If you can make a query that will process a small batch of emails, then when run again will process a second batch etc until they are all done.

You could then set up an automated task to run the query, so once set up you can walk away and let it do its stuff until every email has been sent. This is how most of the online versions run, by setting a cron job to query a page which in turn queries the db
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
    You could have it done online, there are free scripts that you can install onto a server that will process newsletters, sending them out in small batches etc. Or you could sigh up with someone already offering this service.

Many hosts now don't allow setting up mailing lists. YOu would probably be best to use a proper email mailing list company, and there are heaps of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So my questions are:

What time does the ISP use to decide the interval between emails - the time it got to the outbox, the time it arrived at the ISP, or what?

How do other organisations with large legitimate mailing lists deal with this - I can't believe we are the first to face this issue?

We also have the problem that some emails are being rejected because we use bcc for the recipient address for privacy reasons, and some servers appear to reject bcc emails. I could change the app to send individual emails, but then we get back to the other problems above.

Anyone got any suggestions?

TIA,

Tony
    Tony, why don't you ask your Service Provider, I'm sure they would be only too pleased to answer your queries.

If your current Service Provider is unwilling to help you, I'm sure there is a user friendly one out there that likes to take on new business.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
    If you can make a query that will process a small batch of emails, then when run again will process a second batch etc until they are all done.
    That's more or less what I have done, and the number of emails in a batch can be changed. There is still the issue of the time between emails though.

We have had some contact with the ISP, and the problem has been finding someone who actually understands and can talk intelligently about the issue.

Pedant and proud of it

The ISP is in a difficult situation. People do use accounts to send spam. The ISP is then abused for allowing that to happen. So they limit the number an account can send out (per hour, per day, per week? ). So they run into trouble with someone like Tony who is trying to do something "legitimate".

Obviously (to me anyway ) they should put in a mechanism whereby users in Tony's situation can register with the ISP so they know that at reasonably uniform intervals the user will be sending out a batch of newsletters, which are known to be not spam.

There will be many people who are doing this sort of thing, on a voluntary basis, for a non-profit organisation which can't really be expected to pay some commercial service to send out newsletters.

Grumpy Member

I use Group Mail 5.1 (free version) - the free version only allows 100 addresses - it's really not much bother to split a mail list up into groups of 100 or less addresses and resend each group. With around 350 recipients at the moment for the notification email that I send out I haven't had any problems.

You should not be sending bulk mail through a normal user ISP. You need a list manager such as Mailman set up on a web host. Many will do this and you can inquire in advance. This provides a web-based administration panel and allows people to automatically subscribe and unsubscribe from the list (You can require approval for subscriptions). You probably want an "announce" list (only certain people can write to the list).
    Why use a simple solution when a complicated one will suffice?