Ageing disgracefully

Default LCD monitor won't turn on. (Broken switch)

Hi. I have a 19 month old Dell LCD monitor. A couple of weeks ago it became difficult to switch on and I'm sure it's the actual switch that is the problem. It now won't fire up at all. (My old CRT starts up just fine on it.)
    My question is, assuming it is the switch that is the problem, is it possible or even economic to fix it or should I just go and by a replacement monitor. Yes, off course I only took the standard one year warranty and didn't buy the three year one.
    Grow older but never grow up.

Correct my English!

Default Re: LCD monitor won't turn on. (Broken switch)

Hi Oggy. Do you need to switch off the LCD monitor whenever you have finished using the computer? What happens if you leave it on all the time with the computer shut down?

Cheers

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Ageing disgracefully

There's nothing wrong with leaving it on ... infact that's what we were doing last week. Unfortunately turning it off is a hard habit to break and it got turned off last night ... and won't turn on today. I was going to get around to putting some duct tape over the switch so it couldn't be turned off but I guess i never got around to it.

Shouldn't be too difficult to short the switch so its permanently on. You could then just leave it on and let the monitor power management do its thing, or switch it off at the wall.

If you want me to take a look PM me.
    Life is about give and take.
    Shame some people take take take.

Ageing disgracefully

PM sent.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Hi. I have a 19 month old Dell LCD monitor. A couple of weeks ago it became difficult to switch on and I'm sure it's the actual switch that is the problem. It now won't fire up at all. (My old CRT starts up just fine on it.)
    My question is, assuming it is the switch that is the problem, is it possible or even economic to fix it or should I just go and by a replacement monitor. Yes, off course I only took the standard one year warranty and didn't buy the three year one.
    If you purchased it for consumer use, then you are covered by the consumer guarantees act. Purchasing extended warrenties for consumers is a waste of money, as all personal consumers are covered by the CGA. Contact Dell and tell them you want it fixed. Quote them the CGA, if they refuse and tell you it is outside its warrenty, saying that it must last a reasonable period of time. Businesses can't contract out of the CGA. If they still refuse, lodge a hearing at the Disputes Tribual (small claims court). It will only cost you about $30 to do this, which is a lot cheaper than a new monitor.

Check out the consumer website www.consumer.org.nz for more info

Ageing disgracefully

I don't how that would fly. The PC was purchased over the internet (and made in Malaysia) so I don't know if there is a legal entity in NZ that I could throw the CGA at.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I don't how that would fly. The PC was purchased over the internet (and made in Malaysia) so I don't know if there is a legal entity in NZ that I could throw the CGA at.
    If you purchased it from the Dell New Zealand website at www.dell.co.nz, then you actually purchased it from Dell New Zealand Ltd and you are covered by NZ consumer laws. They advertise and trade in NZ, and have a NZ office, so the CGA would definately apply. You are protected by the same laws, as if you purchased it from a local store. If however you purchased it from a overseas company such as amazon.com you wouldn't be covered, but that isn't the case for dell new zealand. I wonder how many other dell customers don't realise this, and haven't made a CGA claim againest a defective product.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerp View Post
    I wonder how many other Dell customers don't realise this, and haven't made a CGA claim againest a defective product.
    I'd say that 99.999% of NZ'ers, Dell customers or not, have never exercised their rights under ordinary warranties, let alone the the CGA. I can't understand why as it is a painless and very fruitful path.

As I have commented in the past, and by way of encouragement, I have had thousands of dollars worth of goods replaced or repaired by simply asking nicely and being aware of the sellers obligations (never mind my rights). Items include a new car replaced after 20 months or so and 18,000Ks outside their warranty mileage as well, printers, appliances, cameras, tools (just last weekend), glasses, you name it. I had a complete computer replaced within a few days of the expiry of a three-year warranty, and then there's the successful claims I have made for family & friends who were too shy to ask.

Anyway, I doubt that the Dell screen has a mechanical switch, even if it feels mechanical. Because LCD screens dont need degaussing, they don't need a switch rated for a heavy inrush current. It is quite likely that the problem is an electronic failure like a non-starting power supply.

If Dell value their good name, they will probably help out no matter where or how it was bought. They shouldn't need legislation or warranty cards to stand by their products if a premature failure has occurred. Approaching politely and asking what they can do to help can bring unexpected results, but don't stop at the erk that answers the phone, ask to speak to a supervisor, then escalate to a warranty or product manager while everybody is still talking nicely if you sense you are not making progress.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    I'd say that 99.999% of NZ'ers, Dell customers or not, have never exercised their rights under ordinary warranties, let alone the the CGA. I can't understand why as it is a painless and very fruitful path.

As I have commented in the past, and by way of encouragement, I have had thousands of dollars worth of goods replaced or repaired by simply asking nicely and being aware of the sellers obligations (never mind my rights). Items include a new car replaced after 20 months or so and 18,000Ks outside their warranty mileage as well, printers, appliances, cameras, tools (just last weekend), glasses, you name it. I had a complete computer replaced within a few days of the expiry of a three-year warranty, and then there's the successful claims I have made for family & friends who were too shy to ask.

Anyway, I doubt that the Dell screen has a mechanical switch, even if it feels mechanical. Because LCD screens dont need degaussing, they don't need a switch rated for a heavy inrush current. It is quite likely that the problem is an electronic failure like a non-starting power supply.

If Dell value their good name, they will probably help out no matter where or how it was bought. They shouldn't need legislation or warranty cards to stand by their products if a premature failure has occurred. Approaching politely and asking what they can do to help can bring unexpected results, but don't stop at the erk that answers the phone, ask to speak to a supervisor, then escalate to a warranty or product manager while everybody is still talking nicely if you sense you are not making progress.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Good on you! There are too many retailers selling cheaply made, low quality products out there, and this has got worse since many companies have shifted their manufacturing over to china. The secret is to be polite and professional, as being negative to the retailer always gets them defensive and you never get anywhere.