Default Help. Scanner and Scanner Install Wizard not working

My epson RX650 multifunction scanner/printer was working perfectly until I rebuilt my PC over the weekend. I was running WinXPpro, servicepack2, Norton systemworks and zonealarm pro. After reinstalling XP, sp2, nortons and zonealarm I reinstalled the epson drivers. The printer works but the Epson Scan program won't start because it doesn't recognise that there is a scanner connected. The drivers are the latest ones; I've tried unloading and reinstalling the drivers, checking that epson scan is recognised in zonealarm, disabling zonealarm, disabling windows firewall, stopping norton antivirus - none of that has worked. I then tried the Printer and Scanner Installation Wizard and found that it's not working either. Nothing happens when I try to run the Wizard. XP is fully up to date. Is this an SP2 issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Help. Scanner and Scanner Install Wizard not working

Did u install the motherboard drivers AFTER u installed SP2, and before u installed everything else?

Look in device manager and see if anything has a ? beside it or X or other.

hey thanks for responding.
    Yes the motherboard drivers were the first things installed after the initial XP load, followed by the videocard driver. Installed sp2 after that but before the epson drivers. As the RX650 is only a few months old, sp2 was already on my PC when I first installed it and it worked fine.

I've checked Device Manager - the Epson is listed there, at the bottom of the list as Unknown with a grey diamond shape next to it. My logitech webcam is also listed there an it's working perfectly...
    Stupid things like this make me want to buy an Apple...! Anyway, any other suggestions??

Some MFC printers are pretty fussy how the drivers are installed.

Did u unplug the USB to the MFC before u installed the drivers??

And during the install of the drivers, did it ask u to plug the USB cable in??

Sometimes if u install the drivers for MFC on a system while the USB is still in, you'll have probs.

yeah epson was disconnected when I installed drivers. Just now tried unloading all epson software and reinstalling but no change. Just doesn't recognise that a scanner is connected.
    Also, the windows Camera and Scanner Installation Wizard doesn't work - I'm thinking that must have something to do with it.