Question LAN & WAN problems

I have a dsl 502t modem connected to a switch with 6 computers on a network, all running XP Home. At the moment they are all configured automatically to connect to the LAN and Internet.
    I now need to configure the modem so that another computer in another town can access only one specific computer on my LAN.
    I have tried to manually assign IP address' to each machine but then although I can see all LAN computers I cannot access the internet.
    How do I set this up to be able to access the LAN and WAN from all computers AND allow outside access to only the one computer on port 3389?
    Hope this makes sense!! Thankyou

Default Re: LAN & WAN problems

XP Home can only have 5 on a network not 6 +. Pro can have up to 10.

This maybe one reason why all wont get on the net. Or why one cant be shared.

And XP Home doesn't have remote desktop only XP Pro does.

I would say they're all meant to on obtain an ip automatically not on use the following ip address if u have adsl.

I too have a d-link 502t on a network & have been told this is possible using 'Port Forwarding' or something but I'm not sure how to set it up, although I was quickly shown in the modem setup (but I wasn't paying attention - damn). I'm also very keen to find out again!

Computer Tech

XP Home can have as many on the network as you like, you just can't have more than 5 access the same XP Home machine at a time.

Sounds like you need to make sure you have put in the DNS and gateway IP addresses.

As Speedy already said XP Home doesn't have Remote Desktop support, you would need to use something like UltraVNC.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    XP Home can have as many on the network as you like, you just can't have more than 5 access the same XP Home machine at a time.

Sounds like you need to make sure you have put in the DNS and gateway IP addresses.

As Speedy already said XP Home doesn't have Remote Desktop support, you would need to use something like UltraVNC.
    I'ts not a problem to drop one machine (It's unused & just about dead anyway). I will look into UltraVNC though. Thanks guys!

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

No, XP Home CAN get RDC... Throught the MS web update, I just built a machine and installed XP Home and all the updates and one of the WAS RDC it is an optional one.

got to www.portforward.com to learn how to forward the ports for you router

EDIT: you can have as many PCs on the network as you want, they don't 'see' each other unless you tell them to
    Last edited by The_End_Of_Reality; 27-01-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by The_End_Of_Reality View Post
    No, XP Home CAN get RDC... Throught the MS web update, I just built a machine and installed XP Home and all the updates and one of the WAS RDC it is an optional one.
    Yes you can run a remote desktop connection from an XP Home PC to another PC running XP Pro or Terminal Services but you can't use remote desktop connection to connect TO an XP Home PC from another PC.

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Yes you can run a remote desktop connection from an XP Home PC to another PC running XP Pro or Terminal Services but you can't use remote desktop connection to connect TO an XP Home PC from another PC.
    Oh, I thought you could... my bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Hi everyone!!!
    Now, I need some document for C and C++, Visual Basic, Java
    Could you send me some documents about them or you could send me some websites I can download but not fee. Thanhks so much...

Quote Originally Posted by kesitinh13111983 View Post
    Hi everyone!!!
    Now, I need some document for C and C++, Visual Basic, Java
    Could you send me some documents about them or you could send me some websites I can download but not fee. Thanhks so much...
    I suggest u do a search in Google or Yahoo....Since this question has nothing to do with the topic.

And we're not a 24 hr service, and we don't send documents or websites to members.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 28-01-2007 at 08:25 AM.