Dr. Geek

Default Advice on PC Upgrade

I have a Compaq Evo D510 small form factor PC. I would like to increase it's RAM and replace its disk with a larger one. This is a 2.4GHz / 533MHz machine and was new in early 2003. It has a proprietary Compaq (HP) motherboard for which I was able to find very little info.

I have done some research into what is required and what it can take but in the end I won't really know unless I try out the new hardware.

Currently the PC has a single 256MB DDR266 PC2100 DIMM installed. I would like to add a 1GB module in the spare DIMM slot. The specs say the machine is capable of 2GB. I see that PC2100 memory is rare these days. On reading about DDR RAM the experts indicate that faster RAM is backward compatible with the slower speed RAM. If that is the case I would be interested in a 1GB DDR400 PC3200 module.

I would also like to replace the current 40GB IDE disk with as large a disk as possible. The Seagate Barracuda 400GB ATA100, 7200rpm disk would be ideal - cheap too, I can get it for approx 50 cents/GB. I was unable to find any information on the Internet that indicated if there would be any problems installing a high capacity disk on this particular machine.

Does anyone have any experience with either the RAM or Disk upgrade I have described? Namely, running faster DDR RAM with slower, and support for a fairly large disk in a machine of the vintage described. Perhaps you could point me to documentation that I have not been able to find. Thanks.

Default Re: Advice on PC Upgrade

Yup DDR 400 should work but it'll also run at 2100 speed. Not DDR 400 speed.

The only thing, that may have probs with a 400 GB hdd, is the BIOS.

If the version of the BIOS, thats currently on the mobo is too old, it may or may not handle hdd's bigger than 60 or 80 GB hdd's or something.

And if this is the case, Windows (if u use Windows) may install OK, but may crash continuously everytime u reboot.

Until the BIOS has been updated, so it can recognise hdd's bigger than 80 GB or whatever.

This is the only prob I had, when I updated an HP system's hdd to 80 GB a few years ago (I think it only had a 6-10 GB in it at the time).

It crashed after I installed 2000 on it, but went back to normal after I updated the BIOS.

It should all be fine. About the ram, if you put faster ram with slower ram, the fast ram will run at the speed of the slower ram. So i think there should be no problems.

I don't think your system would care how big your hdd is.

But there is something I hear about where people have a large hdd, say 200gb, but it only shows up as having 120gb space. I have never come accross that problem, but someone else here can tell you the fix for it probably.

**Ok, well Speedy said it all.... before me. The little sneak

One thing to be aware of with Compaqs/HPs as far as RAM goes. They used to be very fussy about the type and brand (i.e. proprietary Compaq/HP branded) of RAM. I'm not sure if this is still the case but I'd be wary, particularly as it's a proprietary motherboard.

Kingston memory is fine with this model, I used PC3200 . haven't upgraded the drive though!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Quote Originally Posted by Murray P View Post
    One thing to be aware of with Compaqs/HPs as far as RAM goes. They used to be very fussy about the type and brand (i.e. proprietary Compaq/HP branded) of RAM. I'm not sure if this is still the case but I'd be wary, particularly as it's a proprietary motherboard.
    I just upgraded a celeron 1700 mhz model Hp512a machine. Can you believe it was sold with XP and just 128 megs of PC2100 ram

I took this ram out and replaced with a single 512megs stick of A-data ddr400. All good with no probs! goes like a rocket previously it had been trying to use over 200 megs on bootup!

Have you considered the superior capabilities of a Mac?, Creative types are wise enough to use them don't you know?
    better Dredd then dead

My advice is don't.

It's much more cost-effective in the long run to buy a new machine as prices have come down and power has gone up.

For example, I got a new pc with 2gb of ram for about 2.5 times the cost of the ram alone if I bought the ram separately to upgrade my old machine.