Question Intel Core Duo OR Core 2 duo?? Which is better for Vista 64 bit?

I am buying a new Toshiba Laptop and have to choose between the following Intel processors: Core duo (1.66 GHz), Core 2 duo (1.66 GHz), Core 2 duo
    (2.0 GHz).
    I am not into gaming or high-end graphics. However I do wish to run Windows Vista 64 bit version (When it becomes available) and Vista Home Premium (now). Also I wish to future-proof myself with the choice I make.
    Which is the most expedient choice ... and why??
    Thanks for your help,
    MLF

Default Re: Intel Core Duo OR Core 2 duo?? Which is better for Vista 64 bit?

Core 2 Duo is the newer technology (faster and more power efficient than Core Duo) and obviously 2.0 is faster than 1.66 ... so ....

Make sure its the mobile version of the Core 2 Duo - the battery will last longer than with the desktop version of Core 2 Duo.
    Life is about give and take.
    Shame some people take take take.

Dear GCharmichThanks for the quick resonse

Question Re: Intel Core Duo OR Core 2 duo?? Which is better for Vista 64 bit?

Dear GCharmich,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Just to clarify ... Would I be able to run Vista 64 bit version of the Core duo?
    Also, if I select the Core 2 duo, would the 2 GHz version be over-future-proofing myself (since I am not into graphic applications)??
    Regards,
    MLF

I think that a Core 2 Duo running at 2.0 GHz would definitely be able to run 64 bit applications considering that quad cores are only just coming out.

Question Re: Intel Core Duo OR Core 2 duo?? Which is better for Vista 64 bit?

I made a "Typo" in my first line.
    It should read ...
    Would I be able to run Vista 64 bit version ON the Core duo?
    Thanks,
    MLF

You will be able to run Vista 64 bit on the Core 2 Duo (assuming the drivers are available for the machine), not sure about the Core Duo can't remember if it has the required extensions for 64 bit.

Buy the fastest bit of kit you can reasonably afford.

As for future-proofing - there is no such thing, who knows what’s going to happen in 12 months time, technology might change significantly or your requirements might be totally different.
    Life is about give and take.
    Shame some people take take take.

For Vista the video card will be more important than the CPU, realistically you'll want to avoid integrated graphics and get something that has a mobile video chipset from nVidia or ATI.