Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Core 2 Duo system upgrade

Hi, haven't posted here for a while now, but I am interested in ppls recommendations for upgrading. Searched the net but seemed to be a different answer on nearly all the review sites, which made me just more confused.

I have decided that my old AGP 9200SE graphics card just does not cut the mustard anymore (hasn't cut it for quite a while now). I wish to upgrade to a pci-e card, but this means the motherboard needs replacing, almost everything will get upgraded (bar case,optical drive and psu). I don't need bleeding edge stuff ($$$), quite happy with mid range technology. For example, was looking at something like this..

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1223

and adding this video card...
    http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1474

Any views and recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain

Default Re: Core 2 Duo system upgrade

Do you wish to overclock or stay at stock speeds?

Reason for asking is C2D overclocks extremely well, but it is important with board and ram considerations.

actually having a look

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1223

I have this exact mobo and processor. It is good sold board at "stock" speeds nothing much more to say. If you want to O/C hitting 3.0-3.3gig ish, it should be no problem with that either. Do NOT buy ram below DDR667, I cannot stress this enough if you ever want to O/C.

I would recommend trying to squeeze a 7900GS, as the 7600GT is already struggling with many of the latest games (depending on resolution/quality setting of course).

I have no real need for overclocking.
    The pc is mostly used for surfing, mail etc, but my boys like to play the new games, i.e Battlefield 2142 and Dark Crusade.

The case is Thermaltake Swing with a 430W psu, and a LG DVD-RW optical drive.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nyuuji View Post
    I have no real need for overclocking.
    The pc is mostly used for surfing, mail etc, but my boys like to play the new games, i.e Battlefield 2142 and Dark Crusade.

The case is Thermaltake Swing with a 430W psu, and a LG DVD-RW optical drive.

The board and CPU are a great combo, so you can't go wrong. There are cheaper boards around based on the 945 chipset but I don't recommend it.

Just keep in mind in 2 years when games have moved forward, overclocking that processor will be both free and relatively easy which could get you another year or two out of it, just a thought something to consider.

i would still go for a better video card if you can squeeze it, both those games are late 2006, who knows what you may take a liking to in the future.

Fine.
    As for the graphics, I agree with Master Frost - the 7900 is better, BF2142 isn't exactly a low end game....

Hi, not sure on your revision of the Mobo, however, Micron memory can have issues with this board, check what memory modules they are...

Ref & review of this board with latest BIOS here

I personally would try to get a faster grahics card too, however you will do okay with the 7600GT
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    Hi, not sure on your revision of the Mobo, however, Micron memory can have issues with this board, check what memory modules they are...

Ref & review of this board with latest BIOS here

I personally would try to get a faster graphics card too, however you will do okay with the 7600GT
    That issue eliminated with the F3 bios, they are shipping with at least F6 theese days.

With the F7 bios D9 450 FSB issue was eliminated for extreme overclocking (which is not relevant here).

no need to look into this.

Thats for your input guys.
    I'll go with the combo in first link, but make sure I get some decent quaility ram to go with it. And I'll also go with the 7900GS, as it is not that much more.

One last question though. As with most graphic cards, there are many makes with the same model numbers. In this case the 7900GS. I was thinking of the "Inno" brand, but also see that Asus, Microstar, Foxconn, Leadtek, Galaxy, Pixelview etc make the same model. Is the only difference between them what is included in the package?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyuuji View Post
    Thats for your input guys.
    I'll go with the combo in first link, but make sure I get some decent quaility ram to go with it. And I'll also go with the 7900GS, as it is not that much more.

One last question though. As with most graphic cards, there are many makes with the same model numbers. In this case the 7900GS. I was thinking of the "Inno" brand, but also see that Asus, Microstar, Foxconn, Leadtek, Galaxy, Pixelview etc make the same model. Is the only difference between them what is included in the package?

95%+ of Nvidia based cards are reference design so there is very little difference apart from the quality of the fan and perhaps warranty.

The top Enthusiast brands world wide are eVGA and XFX as they usually use there own designed coolers (better than nVidia reference design), but they are barely sold in NZ.

Shop for price and warranty basically.