Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Intel Core 2 Duo, IS faster than 1 core in Single threaded apps/games

I felt the need to start a thread to help certain members understand Dual core processors.

There are AMD dual cores and Intel Dual cores, today I would like to focus on the newer Intel Core 2 Duo.

To make this simple to understand...... a few quick comparisons

Question.... Is a "P4 3.4 gig" faster than a "Core 2 duo 1.8gig" running SINGLE threaded apps and games.
    Answer.... No, the Core 2 Duo is significantly faster in SINGLE threaded apps or games

Question is a AMD 64 3800+ faster than a Core 2 duo 1.8gig running SINGLE threaded apps or games?
    Answer No, the cheapest Core 2 Duo is significantly faster in SINGLE threaded apps or games.

**Of course I could go through 100's of comparisons, there are faster single core CPU's and of course much faster Core 2 Duo's.

Why is C2D faster at lower MHZ?.....they perform more operations per clock cycle, they are more efficient.

Where is my proof you ask?

""" In many cases, the $183 Core 2 Duo E6300 actually outperformed Intel's previous champ: the Pentium Extreme Edition 965."""
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2795&p=19

For those that don't know "Pentium Extreme Edition 965" is single core and significantly more expensive than the cheapest C2D.

***Most of the test done in this review are SINGLE THREADED Apps and games where the Dual Core factor is not relevant.

Other proof can be found.

Tool "www.google.com"
    Syntax "Intel Core 2 Duo review"

To wrap this up, it is widely accepted Core 2 Duo is faster in SINGLE and Dual threaded apps and games than any other single or dual core processors on the market.

Doubters please investigate and stop posting stupid blanket statements like "Single core is faster in single threaded apps and games" as this is NOT correct.

Which brings us to the Ultimate Question...Which mainstream processors hold the performance crown for every day games and Apps regardless if they are dual/Quad core or not?

The Answer is

1st Intel Quad core (but very expensive) (against other quad core platforms)

2nd Intel Core 2 Duo (start at just under NZ$300) (against other dual core platforms)

Am I a Intel fan? No my last 4/5 platforms have been AMD, Intel currently have the better product.
    Last edited by Master_Frost; 31-12-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Intel Core 2 Duo, IS faster than 1 core in Single threaded apps/games

Havent had a chance to read it, but if thats true... my next system might be an Intel Core2 Duo

...mind you, I _love_ my amd64 Gentoo box, it'd be hard to make me part with it
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Default Re: Intel Core 2 Duo, IS faster than 1 core in Single threaded apps/games

hehe sorry is a tad long winded, but it hard to clarify all the important points in a small post.

You might be seeing this thread a lot for a while as I use it to shoot down the Anti Dual core possy opposed to replying in every thread.

I still have 2 AMD 64's in the house, they run great. Really hopeing AMD wipe the smile off Intel's face with there native quad cores next year.

Yep, next week AMD will have the faster one, the week after that Intel.

There is no point, it's a boy's game designed to sell computer gear, just like say flat screen, TVs cars, MP3 players, games consoles... I think you get my drift
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Thanks for that "Master_Frost" i agree 100% (as a core2 duo user )

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcircuit View Post
    Yep, next week AMD will have the faster one, the week after that Intel.

There is no point, it's a boy's game designed to sell computer gear, just like say flat screen, TVs cars, MP3 players, games consoles... I think you get my drift
    3rd Quarter next year for AMD, you haven't really read this thread have you? Its not about AMD vs Intel lol

And thanks DanielF, hopefully we can school a few people and an learn em up propa

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Frost View Post
    3rd Quarter next year for AMD, you haven't really read this thread have you? Its not about AMD vs Intel lol
    Of course I didn't... it's not about cars
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcircuit View Post
    Of course I didn't... it's not about cars
    Dam I hate it when I am out argued

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Frost View Post
    And thanks DanielF, hopefully we can school a few people and an learn em up propa
    Put me down too DC_ALL _THE_WAY!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

in for the kill

Yes DC is faster but some programs not supporting it go *** and have a fit so sometimes a single core is better for the moment once fixes come out then its all over. IMO DC is too early to adopt at the moment and I would only go DC when my current computer starts to slow down. (Plus single core chips are cheap as due to the the dual core cpus )