Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wondering about this processor??

Hi Everyone, I own a Intel Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz processor, and i overclocked it to 2.54ghz. When i play Games i run them really smooth and fast (Along with my 8800GTS Graphics Card), but when played a game called Rainbow Six Vegas(which requires a 3.0ghz to 3.5ghz processor) i can run it smooth but only half of the time. Sometimes when im playing the game it kinda gets choppy. This also happens when i try to play a game called Quake 4. I can run Q4 on Ultra high graphics with no problem(only a few minor jitters here and there) but once i put anti-alias to the max(X16) it starts to get choppy. Its totally playable but it shouldn't be at all jittery should it?

My question is, do I need to overclock my processor more? or my Graphics card at that?

It would be Great if someone could reply back to me on this.

Default Re: Wondering about this processor??

How much RAM do you have, as that can effect the smoothness to (more ram means it can load more into the faster to access RAM rather than trying to get it from the HDD all the time)

Also Rainbow six: Vegas has only just been released this month and games development has been ahead of hardware development for the last few yeasr, meaning games are often released with quality settings at the high end that current hardware can't handle.

Anti-Aliasing and Antistropic filtering are the 2 biggest hitters when it comes to loosing preformance, so when trying to find the sweet spot between looks and preformance it's often best to set everything to full, and then start taking the AA and AF down a bit, you may find that you can leave everything else at full if these 2 go down a bit.

I don't know much abotu Quake 4, but it's a year old now so your system should handle it on full...however I do know that it is often used in benchmark tests and gives lower fps scores than games like farcry.

but then if your system has any less than 1gb of ram then that will be a bottleneck in your system rather than the CPU or GPU

in for the kill

You must remember these games are asking for 3ghz single processors. You have TWO running at 2.45ghz so are far past the suggested.

Your 8800GTS should not show any sign of struggle so I would suggest updating your drivers and also having a look on Google for any patches to those games.

EDIT: It's possible some piece of hardware is holding you back, faulty ram, not enough ram, maybe even spyware of some sort.
    Last edited by trinsic; 29-12-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Correct my English!

Hi trinsic. So does this mean that in total the processor is running at 4.90 GHz?

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

RAM is mostlikely the problem, 2GB at least for gaming is what I would suggest.

The 8800GTS is the second most powerful nVidia card... it CAN handle it...

CPU can handle it, even though the clock speed is lower it is more efficient in what it does meaning it can do more work for less clock cycles.

And trinsic just because it is DC DOES NOT mean it is going to be better than a single core CPU... only if the game/application is multithreaded will a DC benefit I am not sure if this game is multi threaded or not... open task manager on the performance tab and play the game for a few mins and see what CPU usage you arre getting, that will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Thankyou guys for your replies BTW here are my computer specs ...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz Processor (OC to 2.54Ghz)
    ABIT AW9D-MAX S-775 Motherboard
    2 Gigs of Ram (OCZ PC2 6400 Gold XTC)
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB Graphics Card
    Kingwin 600W Modular Blue LED Power Suppliy
    Seagate 320GB SATA HardDrive.

Again, thankyou for your replies.

Nothing wrong with your specs., except dual core cpu's and completely unsuitable for gaming.
    Don't take any notice of people who tell you, "dual core are the way of the future".
    You want to play now, not in ten years time.
    Jack GOF.

Games should start comming out with functions that allow them to be run faster on dual core soon-ish. I'm single core though.

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Wondering about this processor??

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ View Post
    Nothing wrong with your specs., except dual core cpu's and completely unsuitable for gaming.
    Don't take any notice of people who tell you, "dual core are the way of the future".
    You want to play now, not in ten years time.
    NO, YOU ARE WRONG!!!! THERE ARE GAMES OUT NOW THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DC CPUS NFS Carbon, BF2142 are 2 games that I have noticed use 80+% of my CPU and there is likely to be more.

And plus You will find that doing other tasks such as video encoding etc use DC CPUs to their full advantage

I run a 4400+ X2 and that is great, I have had no problems in the gaming department, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ON HERE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH DC CPUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by The_End_Of_Reality View Post
    NO, YOU ARE WRONG!!!! THERE ARE GAMES OUT NOW THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DC CPUS NFS Carbon, BF2142 are 2 games that I have noticed use 80+% of my CPU and there is likely to be more.

And plus You will find that doing other tasks such as video encoding etc use DC CPUs to their full advantage

I run a 4400+ X2 and that is great, I have had no problems in the gaming department, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ON HERE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH DC CPUS
    Agree!
    I have a core2 duo and its amazingly better for gaming (not that i do it much, but it was worth the test to see what the CPU was like.) Have you acutally tried to play games JJJJJ?
    Even non-Dual Core specific games run better.