Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Frequent router disconnects

I'm using a Netgear DG834G on an Orcon connection and have been suffering frequent dissconnects since the 20/11. They range between 4 a day to yesterdays new record of 74.

I've done some reading on the issue and it seems I'm not the only one with this issue. There appear to be many other users with either Netgear or D-Link routers having the same issue. Orcon support are apparently looking into it but it's just getting out of hand.

Just for the record, I've tried different cables and filters but not a different router (anyone got a spare lying around?). The fact that the issue fluctuates so much indicates to me that something is not all good at the ISP end of things or more likely at Telecon's exchange.

There is some mention of issues with Alcatel DSLAM equipment in the exchanges recently installed by Telecon. I read this on geekzone but found no substantiating link.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

If so who is your provider?

When did it start?

Where are you? I'm in Grey Lynn, Orcland

Any results or improvements?

Cheers

Digikiwi

Default Re: Frequent router disconnects

Quote Originally Posted by digikiwi View Post
    Is anyone else experiencing this?

If so who is your provider?

When did it start?

Where are you?

Yes
    ihug
    month or so ago
    christchurch
    Dynalink also used d-link and netgear, turning off upnp seems to make things a little better.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

I was going to make a new post about my frequent re-connections until I came across this one. I'm with Orcon and I've been suffering from frequent reconnections. I looked up my account's usage charts and I was totally bowled over by the number of re-connections I have had for December. Just today I have had over 60 re-connections and still counting. The problem has been getting worse. In November the total number of re-connections was probably about the same as for the previous months of 2006. But in this month they have increased dramatically. And yes, I have a D-Link router. And this is NOT a phenomenon related to Xmas; last December the number of re-connections I had was minimal. This is getting to be a major problem for me as I am an internet gamer and getting my connection dropped every 5 mins is a big problem.

Often lurking...

Arrow Re: Frequent router disconnects

Originally Posted by digikiwi
    1) Is anyone else experiencing this?

2) If so who is your provider?

3) When did it start?

4) Where are you?

MY ANSWERS:
    1) Yes
    2) Xtra
    3) About 10 months ago, resolved after 2 monthys, then has come back again since Xtra "unleashed" their speeds and is getting steadily worse
    4) Dunedin

My orginal problem with a Netgeat DG834G was resolved by getting my supplier to replace the unit as it turned out to be faulty. This time around I think it may be due to my ADSL connection. I got one of those "you are one of the very few adversly affected by the new full-speed plans" letters a week or so ago where they now tell me my line can only handle a 2Mbps connection. Since about a week before I got the letter I have been having constant reset problems
    Intel Core i7-4790, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970 4GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Banned

try set your adsl modulation in your router settings to G Lite

Yes, I experience random and annoying disconnects very often. Started ever since I joined xtra's Go Large plan. I am in Massey, and was told the exchange is only 2.5 kms away from my house. Improvements? Probably never in a million years.
    Meh....

That could explain why MSN on Trillian keeps disconnecting.

I'm on Xnet with the same router Netgear
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Hmm, here is an idea that you could try.

If you can, try and change the modulation from its default to an unsupported G.Lite.

I did and so far, I have not experienced any disconnects, speed is a little slower but acceptable.
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Hi there - after much and i mean much to'ing and fro'ing with orcon we had the same issue here at our office in taranaki - heres the rub - we found out what the problem was - I have been investigating this steadily for the last month and a half,

Telecom about a 18months ago started installing alcatel ASAM's in to their exchanges as a cheap and nasty alternative to NOKIA & LUCENTS top of the range DSLAM's - problem. On certain modems across the board and at certain ranges from the exchange , with certain outside factors such as temperature, time of day, there is frequent disconnects.
    This fault has been really hard to pin down as it only occurs when a specific number of factors all occur at or about the same time.
    We are running the above modem and it used to work fine, we were with watchdog internet and changed to orcon, everything was fine for the first coupla weeks then it got a bit hotter and with more humidity we noticed frequent disconnects whenever we tried to push data thru.

Later and after many many manhours spent on this we have discovered the following. Alcatel's ASAM's are a pile of donkey ****. Orcon have instructed telecom to put us on a NOKIA DSLAM to attempt to fix the problem. We believe this is what it is but will keep u posted, FYI at the moment i have a nokia M1122 installed here and it hasnt dropped the connection since i plugged it in. Go figure!

Anyways - will let u know how it goes.

Regards

R.

Old dick-head

I think Orcon are pulling the wool over your eyes.
    The Nokia DSLAMs are obsolete and if the problem was the Alcatel DSLAM - why isn't 90 % of the rest of us having the same problem ?