Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dell Inspiron 640m

I've been laptop hunting for the last few months... and am leaning towards the Dell Inspiron 640m - primarily because of a) price, b) battery life, and c) price.

Does anyone who lives in Hawkes Bay own one of these, and if so, would you mind if I could pop around and have a look at it? I don't like the idea of buying a laptop without first being able to look at it in person.

Default Re: Dell Inspiron 640m

Quote Originally Posted by somebody
    I don't like the idea of buying a laptop without first being able to look at it in person.
    And how will you like it if or when something goes wrong and you have to pack it up and send it away to Timbuktu for repairs?

Personally I would prefer to buy something locally after being able to see and feel it up for myself. It may still need sending away but I would prefer to drop it into a shop for them to do the packing.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX View Post
    And how will you like it if or when something goes wrong and you have to pack it up and send it away to Timbuktu for repairs?
    I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm also not overly concerned about exploding batteries. If something's going to go wrong, it's going to go wrong... and if it means I have to send it to India, wait a couple of months to get a repair done, then that's the risk I'm willing to take if I'm saving a several hundred $$.

I've also looked at other laptops, but nothing with the same specs which I want are within my price range. In saying that, I haven't yet made a decision, so I'm open to suggestions.

how about a link for the exact model so we can help a bit more
    just looked it up, you can get a top of the range macbook for a hundy more and have the best of both worldshttp://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPLE...4q59z76/2.?p=0
    Last edited by plod; 12-12-2006 at 05:46 PM.

Exact specs are difficult, because they will depend on what sort of special deals are on at the time.

Basic requirements are:
    - Core2 Duo Processor T5600 or higher
    - 1gb ram
    - 80GB+ hard drive
    - 14.1" screen
    - Intel GMA950 graphics or better
    - DVD Writer (Dual Layer support)
    - other standard features (eg. WiFi.... etc. etc.)
    - High capacity battery as an extra (in addition to the one which comes with the laptop).

If I time this right, the cheapest I've seen a laptop with these specs was when Dell was doing a promo a month or so ago - total came out to around $2100.

At the moment I'm interested in seeing one to determine its physical size - from the measurements, it seems quite large... but then again the numbers could be deceiving.

I forgot to add that I'm not very keen on a Macbook.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop three months ago and have found it satisfactory. I live in Hawkes Bay - but 30k west of Hastings and Napier which makes it rather difficult for you to view mine. My Laptop cost just over $1500 and has most of the features that you mention 80Gb, Wifi, 1056 ram, extra battery and 15.4inch screen. I can recommend this model.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldferix View Post
    I bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop three months ago and have found it satisfactory. I live in Hawkes Bay - but 30k west of Hastings and Napier which makes it rather difficult for you to view mine. My Laptop cost just over $1500 and has most of the features that you mention 80Gb, Wifi, 1056 ram, extra battery and 15.4inch screen. I can recommend this model.
    Thanks Oldferix.

I believe the 6400 is a 15.4" widescreen laptop, which is slightly larger than the 640m which I am looking at. In any case, do you find the laptop is chunky in any way, or feels like its poorly made? I'll be lugging mine around quite a bit, so portability is quite high on my priority list.

An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

now i can't recall the model number, but the acer ones are pretty good too (i REALLY don't like dell)
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

I have an Acer at the moment, and am not very happy with it at all (in terms of my new criteria for judging laptops).