Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Correct my English!

Default Problem with friend's new computer

Dear all,
    It's been quite some time since I had last asked a question on PressF1. A friend of mine has recently acquired the components needed to build his own computer. He says that everything has been plugged in or seated properly onto the motherboard. When he switches the computer on, the screen of the LCD says "Test good". After that, the words "Test good" just stays there. I suspect that the graphics card is not receiving data from the motherboard to display subsequent information, and therefore the words "Test good" just stay there. Am I right in this hypothesis? He says that the problem does not lie in either of the LCD monitor or the DVI cable as they worked out all right on another of his computer. Any possible resolutions for this tricky situation?

Cheers

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

in for the kill

Default Re: Problem with friend's new computer

Does the motherboard POST? Most probably is the Video card though.

Correct my English!

Well, he says that he hears whirling sound in the computer when it is switched on... is that post?

Cheers
    Last edited by Renmoo; 07-12-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

in for the kill

Quote Originally Posted by JamesKan View Post
    Well, he says that he hears whirling sound in the computer when it is switched on... is that post?

Cheers
    No usually there is a beep noise. He could try reseating the video card and or ram.

Correct my English!

Nope, no whatsoever beep noise. He has tried reseating the Video Card and the RAM.

Cheers

Its not the video card.

And if you want my honest opinion, Don't build a comp if you cant troubleshoot it, and if you do build a comp and muff it yet lack the ability (even the basic ability) to troubleshoot it then take it to someone who can, Its a stretch of logic that more tinkering by someone who has no idea what they are doing will fix it.
    better Dredd then dead

Correct my English!

Hey Metla. Oh, in actual fact, it was his friend who has built the computer for him. He says that "a dongle cable" is missing or something.

Yeah, I know. It can't be the video card since it past the test.

Cheers

Sweat builds and runs down the forehead ,an itch behind a knee, In the distance a dog barks and a scared woman wishes the sun would shine..

Suddenly over a loud speaker "STOP RIGHT THERE, LIFT YOUR HANDS SO I CAN SEE THEM, THEN BACK AWAY FROM THE PC"
    better Dredd then dead

Wanderer

Throw the vid card and ram into a working pc, does it work? If not do either (1) at a time to pinpoint it. If they both work, does the mobo support them both? Right type and size of ram and the vid card type and speed is supported?

Could be the mobo then?

Get brand and model of mobo and download and read the pdf manual. Go via it, it won't be long, most is crap on bios program and crap pins thingy to plug adaptor/wire x and y and z ..... That should tell you if you are missing a dongle cable, doubt it but hey look it up. Plug power in and power switch and ram and vid card, what else, else things can be optional I think from the average mobo.

Reset bios back to default. Maybe you should take the hdd out and rely on a floppy drive to book w/ dos disk to save a avenue less hassle.

Pull out every cable and wire, put the only crucial ones such as power connector off the psu, power switch, leave out the power led, usb etc etc. Leave Hdd out, rely on a floppy and boot disk or take the FDD out too and see if it boots into a black screen it should say something about no bootfiles blah blah .... then you work up from there.
    Last edited by Nomad; 07-12-2006 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metla View Post
    And if you want my honest opinion, Don't build a comp if you cant troubleshoot it, and if you do build a comp and muff it yet lack the ability (even the basic ability) to troubleshoot it then take it to someone who can,
    Have to agree with this.
    Every man and his dog thinks they are a PC tech. Its easy right?

Well yes, when you know what you are doing. Every man and his dog might be able to assemble the parts but this is the result when you don't know what you are doing.

And I've seen cases where MB risers weren't used, various cables not connected, or connected incorrectly and so on.

And lack of anti-static precautions, later on something fails as a result.

RTFM for starters.