Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Best Linux for me?

What do you guys reckon is the best linux option for my computer with these specs: Intel P4 1.4Ghz, 128MB Ram, CD-RW, Windows ME...soon to be XP, Creative Soundblaster etc.....I was thinking Ubuntu....but got put away my the 256MB Ram requirement . Is that a must have.....and sorry no chance of upgrade....RD-Ram .

Tell me which one I should choose....please suggest ones that you use already
    "Though shall not pass"

Check out my Desktop!! :

http://zahmad.deviantart.com/art/Cer...etish-77810446

Default Re: Best Linux for me?

Sorry, also forgot to mention that my whole family needs to use it.....so it should be easy to use, but not toooo easy ...anyway and I aim to use it as my primary OS as well
    "Though shall not pass"

Check out my Desktop!! :

Quote Originally Posted by zahmad View Post
    What do you guys reckon is the best linux option for my computer with these specs: Intel P4 1.4Ghz, 128MB Ram, CD-RW, Windows ME...soon to be XP, Creative Soundblaster etc.....I was thinking Ubuntu....but got put away my the 256MB Ram requirement . Is that a must have.....and sorry no chance of upgrade....RD-Ram .

Tell me which one I should choose....please suggest ones that you use already
    You have me confused. At the moment you seem to have 128 Mb RAM and running WinME. Then you update to WinXP with the same 128 megs? I would not run XP with 128 Megs. Most versions of Linux that I have used do not need more than 128.

You may also mention your hard drive size and whether you want to dual boot. How many partitions have you?

Quote Originally Posted by zahmad View Post
    Sorry, also forgot to mention that my whole family needs to use it.....so it should be easy to use, but not toooo easy ...anyway and I aim to use it as my primary OS as well
    So what is the secondary O/S? WinXP?

Yup, WinXP it is.....and hard drive is 40GB....and preferably yes, a dual boot
    "Though shall not pass"

Check out my Desktop!! :

Ubuntu will run on that - the 256MB RAM requirement is only to use the LiveCD install. It will run on a lot less.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Xubuntu is a low resource user and would be comfortable with 128.There are 3 versions of Ubuntu and X is recommended for smaller old boxes.Apart from that
    Most older versions of most distros that are available on a single,generally bootable disk,would work.Most are available for around $5 posted.Just put Linux NZ in to google to get a distributer.
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by kjaada View Post
    Xubuntu is a low resource user and would be comfortable with 128.There are 3 versions of Ubuntu and X is recommended for smaller old boxes.Apart from that
    Most older versions of most distros that are available on a single,generally bootable disk,would work.Most are available for around $5 posted.Just put Linux NZ in to google to get a distributer.
    Zahmad also wanted it to be easy for the family to use. Unless they are currently using Windows 3.11, then Xubuntu is not going to fit that requirement.
    Possibly Ubuntu would be better, Mepis maybe?
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Banned

Xandros is for new migrants from Windows(I like this better than Ubuntu but this is quite difficult to use sometimes). But I'm still running dual OS and one Ubuntu on the other HDD which is not that healthy.
    Easy to use? Windows, Mancintosh, what ever paid OS. I'm looking forward for Vista because I want my new PC to run on SATA HDD only no more PATA. lol.

Memory is very important for a Linux desktop, much more so than processor speed or hard disk capacity. Lightweight Linux systems may require less memory as a baseline but Linux is also very good at making use of idle memory to speed up disk access and improve application loading times by caching the executables and libraries. It should be your first target for upgrades as computer manufacturers usually put in half what they should. RDRAM is very expensive, but you can get it from places like here or here if you really need it.

The problem is that nowadays we expect to run a fancy desktop, browser with Java, word processor and music player all at once. You can make do with a minimal system but there are hidden costs to using such a machine as the family computer. How much time do you wait for that machine to start up or for your documents to load? Are you forced to use a minimal office suite to conserve memory?

I would personally get a new motherboard similar to something like this and 512MB of memory to go with it. This would give you a decent desktop for years to come for about $200.
    Last edited by TGoddard; 25-11-2006 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typo
    Why use a simple solution when a complicated one will suffice?