1 3.03%
  • eating broken glass

9 27.27%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CSI - TOTAL BS

An armchair, from where I instantly become an expert on all things

Thumbs down CSI - TOTAL BS

check this out (2MB avi)

hows that for confusing people who don't know any better? i think CSI has just set the bar pretty high for BS

they should have left CSI at the original, none of this miami and new york crap
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

Default Re: CSI - TOTAL BS

Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    check this out (2MB avi)

hows that for confusing people who don't know any better? i think CSI has just set the bar pretty high for BS

they should have left CSI at the original, none of this miami and new york crap
    Best "technology" in a TV show ever was an episode of MacQyver where he was shown from a long shot sitting at a Mac computer. Next was an over the shoulder shot of him working at a face idendikit program. Only problem was the over the shoulder shot showed him working on Windows ......

I loved that epsisode of CSI Miami a while back where a bunch of people playing a GTA-style game just decied to do it for real. Now that was soooo ridiculous.

BTW - it wont let me vote But anyway i reckon CSI: original was great and CSI Miami was the same - havent watched CSI NY so i dont know about that
    "Your glass is empty O'Flaherty, will you be having another?"
    "And why would I be wanting two empty glasses?" replied O'Flaherty.

PC Specs

Long time RTS Gamer

Most of what was said was possible on this clip. Just ignore the fancy graphics, etc., which they do for TV

However, they also used "bogus" IP addresses, which is understandable, so no one would then try to use them, like the 555 phone numbers.
    You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

they are great! its TV so of course it BS. there is heaps of errors and they really to play on the fears of people.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT_NZ View Post
    Most of what was said was possible on this clip.
    ok, well assuming said blogger put false details on their blog, why didnt they put false details on their email address? then CSI use the blog server to find the ip, which is ok ignoring the way in which they did it with fancy graphics etc, they then used the IP to find the persons EMAIL ADDRESS. W T F.

firstly, how does the IP address, (which is dynamic in most parts of the world so it is always changing whenever they reconnect/reset router), give an email address? they would have to contact the ISP which would have to give the customer details which does not include a guarantee that anything beyond the billing adress and landline number is correct (which i'm pretty sure would be a breach of privacy -not that they have any in the states)

the IP is just a virtual address so traffic goes to the correct machine, and has nothing to do with the email address. if they wanted the email address they only need to ask the blog server what the address was to the account, and then get told to piss off cause that would be in breach of their privacy policy

also, i'm not sure what the blog was about, but if i were to blog something incriminating i would do so from an internet cafe using false details/email address etc
    Last edited by motorbyclist; 24-11-2006 at 02:48 PM.
    When it comes to computers there is a difference to what you need and what you want, the former being less than half the price of the latter.

MTV Generation

I agree that it should have stayed original.

If the FBI has the ability to back-trace "past" ISP level to individual IP's....... I'd be more than happy to study such technology.Apart from court obtained warrants for ISP's the rest is total BS!.
    Personal Quote: The world is moving so fast these days, that the person that saiz it can't be done, is soon passed by someone actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    they are great! its TV so of course it BS. there is heaps of errors and they really to play on the fears of people.
    which i am somewhat morally objected to when they have to lie like that... i can already hear my parents going all paranoid and asking how to keep things 'secret' after seeing that episode

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    I agree that it should have stayed original.

If the FBI has the ability to back-trace "past" ISP level to individual IP's....... I'd be more than happy to study such technology.Apart from court obtained warrants for ISP's the rest is total BS!.
    i heard the 'PATRIOT' act allows the fbi to even look up your library records without even giving notification nor a reason - thanks Bush!

I like the Miami episodes best cos they seem to use guns more often than the others

But I have a particular fondness for all the series anyway - I used to be a sales rep while living in UK and one of my customers was the police diagnostic lab that helped develop DNA identification.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.