Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Corrupted compressed files

Hi,

Since around Wednesday last week, it seems that any compressed files I download are ending up corrupted and would fail to extract even though there is nothing wrong when downloading, ie. download finishes at 100% and the file size is what its supposed to be. I've tried downloading .zip and .rar files and both are showing corruptions when being extracted by WinZip, WinRar and WinAce. Sources I've tried downloading from are attachments in hotmail and gmail, and files uploaded in rapidshare, megaupload and even from www.downloads.com website...fyi..files I download which are not compressed runs fine.

At first I thought it might be the modem acting up, so I used my old ADSL modem but its still giving me the problem, then I tried saving the downloaded file in a different HD...problem is still there and finally I tried it on another PC and again no difference.

I'm on XTRA's go large plan and I read on some thread that Go Large is having issues at the moment but afaik its only speed related. No one else I know seem to be having a problem like mine and I'm spent on ideas to try....anyone got a suggestion?

Thanks in adv
    Last edited by blah-blah; 13-11-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Default Re: Corrupted compressed files

Is Nvidia firewall installed? Does the mobo support this?

If this is installed, thats your prob.

Hi Speedy..thanks for the prompt reply. The only firewall I use is the one in Mcafee Internet Security.

Have you updated the drivers for your motherboard (chipset)?
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    Have you updated the drivers for your motherboard (chipset)?
    Hi there...no I haven't updated the drivers for the mobo yet...I'll give it a go..
    would you mind telling how updating the driver of the mobo would relate to the corrupted downloads though? Thanks

Im having this exact same issue. and it happened on the day the go large plan went into place. coincidence? I think not .....

Personally I am disgusted with xtra. I went from a connection I was completely happy with (near 3mb) to one that is barely better than dial up. Unleashed? more like spade....

Im looking for a new ISP

Quote Originally Posted by blah-blah View Post
    Hi there...no I haven't updated the drivers for the mobo yet...I'll give it a go..
    would you mind telling how updating the driver of the mobo would relate to the corrupted downloads though? Thanks
    Hi, I'm not saying to update the chipset, but that if you had, you might have installed the Nvidia Active Armour firewall by default which is known to cause issues with downloads....

I seriously doubt Xtra's Go Slow plan is the cause of you issue BTW.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Welcome to PressF1 Diernes

haha, thanks.

Yeah I understand why this seems unlikely. But I have not changed my system in the slightest when this started to occur. It just seems far to coincidental that this began to happen right on the day of the plan changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diernes View Post
    haha, thanks.

Yeah I understand why this seems unlikely. But I have not changed my system in the slightest when this started to occur. It just seems far to coincidental that this began to happen right on the day of the plan changes.
    If the Xtra plan was the cause, it would be liable for all sorts of account credit for wasted data downloads etc......what program were you using to download?