Thread: Cyber squatting

Default Cyber squatting

After all this publicity about the new Stadium, I decided to see if the government or city councils had registered the domain names stadiumnz.co.nz and stadiumnewzealand.co.nz and their .com versions yet. No, but some other people had, and they were registered around the time this was announced to the public. Are there any rules that stop people registering these types of domain names, or are they too generic to be tradenames, and could they expect to earn big amounts if they hang onto them and then sell them.

Default Re: Cyber squatting

Whoops, I meant to post it in the 'chat' forum. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerp View Post
    After all this publicity about the new Stadium, I decided to see if the government or city councils had registered the domain names stadiumnz.co.nz and stadiumnewzealand.co.nz and their .com versions yet.
    dam, I should have thought of that

Quote Originally Posted by rogerp View Post
    Are there any rules that stop people registering these types of domain names
    Nope, which sucks, but you got to be on the game.

You can apply to have the rights stripped from whomever purchased the domain name, Though fat chance unless your a powerful chap and loaded with coin.
    better Dredd then dead

If the domain includes a trademark you can reasonably easily force people to relinquish it through legal proceedings but these domains don't contain any trademarked names. A different one will have to be purchased or the old ones bought.
    Why use a simple solution when a complicated one will suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by Metla View Post
    You can apply to have the rights stripped from whomever purchased the domain name, Though fat chance unless your a powerful chap and loaded with coin.
    I suppose the government can make their own rules and take it if it is a .nz domain. I am sure that they would eventually want stadiumnz.co.nz or stadiumnewzealand.co.nz, unless it is going to be named after the main sponser.

They'll probably pass some retrospective legislation to make obtaining that particular domain illegal, then take it off the person.

What will help their cause if they quickly build a website about for the domain/s, eg the history of stadiums in New Zealand.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.