Default Re: UNlimited Broadband Plans.

Am currently on an 'old' IHUG 256k/128k 4GB/month plan with tolls at $39.95/month.

I notice that my modem tends to show connection to a max of 1.8mbps (2.0kmps if I am lucky) down which to me indicates that is the maximum line speed I can get. Correct?

If that is the case, then why would I want to pay $50/month to move to IHUGs new 7.6mb 10GB cap plan when the line cant even get close to supporting that speed.

My end goal is to pay no more than $40/month, get the best speed possible that the line can support and get a minimum data cap of 4GB/month.

On that basis, Slingshot seems to offer the product which meets my requirements ... 2mb/128k, 6GB cap, $39.95 and slightly cheaper tolls than IHUG. Any pitfalls with moving to the Slingshot offer?
    It's a miracle people ever got out of the 20th Century. (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)

Default UNlimited Broadband Plans.

Hi
    THere is so much talk over broadband i thought i should clear few of my questions before joining.

Currently i am on ihug 256k dwn & 128k up. 20 Gb Cap with peak and offpeak crap. for $50 incl Toll Calls.

Instead of paying $50 for 256k i thought i should get 3.5 mbps. My problem is understanding there policies.

Till what extent do they shape your internet connection. If i download more than 700Mb a day i will be put into a different pool, What happens then? do i get slow speed?. I mean slow speed overall including p2p, http, ftp?.

please answer my question someone. I rang up 3 ISPS till now and none of them answered me clearly.
    * i7 930 & Corsair H70 Hydro Cooling
    * Asus P6X58D Premium
    * 3 x 2GB DDR3-1600
    * 1X 1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s + 1X SG 320 Sata 3 GB/s
    * Unknown SATA DVD/RW
    * Corsair 850W PSU
    * Asus 1GB EAH5850
    * Windows 7 64Bit
    * MS Security Essential

Quote Originally Posted by gum digger View Post
    Instead of paying $50 for 256k i thought i should get 3.5 mbps.
    Donít you mean 7.6Mbps?

My problem is understanding there policies.

Till what extent do they shape your internet connection. If i download more than 700Mb a day i will be put into a different pool, What happens then? do i get slow speed?. I mean slow speed overall including p2p, http, ftp?.
    This is just my 2 cents

I donít think anyone at this time will know what will happen in till this happens to a few users & they complain on internet forums... That why a lot of people like me are unsure about that as they have the same worry i.e. been slowed down etcÖ

We will just have to wait & see

I Hope this is of some help

in for the kill

It will be like Orcon with there once 128k Unlimited plan.

They put people in the top 5 or so percent of usage into a pool and they shared bandwidth. But with the new Go large plan you are put in a pool if you download over 700mb during peak times of 4pm to 12am. The same thing would happen.

If you are stuck in the pool too many times then Xtra (or which ever isp) will tell you to pick another plan (sad but oh well it has to be done).

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    Donít you mean 7.6Mbps?
    No i am talking about the Go Large Plan. I dont want to pay more than $50.
    Anyone other than xtra providing this sort of plan?.
    http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,87...203090,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    This is just my 2 cents

I donít think anyone at this time will know what will happen in till this happens to a few users & they complain on internet forums... That why a lot of people like me are unsure about that as they have the same worry i.e. been slowed down etcÖ

We will just have to wait & see

I Hope this is of some help
    Yeh i guess. I have switced ISPS 8 times till now belive it or not. why not continue.

So What is the best thing i should do?. My budget $50. Speed is not the issue for me. Data cap is.
    * i7 930 & Corsair H70 Hydro Cooling
    * Asus P6X58D Premium
    * 3 x 2GB DDR3-1600
    * 1X 1 TB, SATA 6 Gb/s + 1X SG 320 Sata 3 GB/s
    * Unknown SATA DVD/RW
    * Corsair 850W PSU
    * Asus 1GB EAH5850
    * Windows 7 64Bit
    * MS Security Essential

No i am talking about the Go Large Plan. I dont want to pay more than $50.
    Anyone other than xtra providing this sort of plan?.
    http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,87...203090,00.html
    Max = 7.6Mbps , which that plan is

Yeh i guess. I have switced ISPS 8 times till now belive it or not. why not continue.
    wow! , You must have done all the main ISP's & started on the small ISP's by now?

So What is the best thing i should do?. My budget $50. Speed is not the issue for me. Data cap is.
    If budget & Data cap is the issue then I would go with the Go Large Plan -http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,8763,204548-203090,00.html & if it does not sute you in the future or you have issues you can swap.

I hear you gum digger. I've also jump ship once I get fed up with the service.

Just moved from iHug to Actrix. I'm liking their 1GB plan that gets reset at 2am very morning. And no port shaping! I won't say here what my daily average is but I'm getting my money's worth.