Default Pioneer DVD - no CD read/write

I purchased a Pioneer 111D DVD writer to replace a faulty CD writer for our local museum. While the bios recognized it correctly, Windows XP Home only saw it as a CD drive. I replaced the IDE cable with an 80 connector and it was then recognized and would read a DVD happily. However, it will not read or write to any CDs including the NERO software disk that came with the drive! I can read this disk okay on other computers. What do I need to do to get this drive to act as a CD reader / writer
    Many thanks for any ideas

Default Re: Pioneer DVD - no CD read/write

Did u select CDRW in Nero, before u tried to burn to it??

Does the burner appear when u run Nero and go to recorder / choose recorder in the menu?

You didnt format the blank cd with something else, before u tried to burn whatever with Nero did u?

Thanks for answering Speedy but maybe I need to make this clearer - it won't read any CD at all, so I have never got to the point of using NERO, can't install as it won't read this CD or any other - whether Commercial Product or Home burnt??? There has to be something in the set up that is causing it not to be 'seen' as a CD drive?

Quote Originally Posted by redbeard45 View Post
    Thanks for answering Speedy but maybe I need to make this clearer - it won't read any CD at all, so I have never got to the point of using NERO, can't install as it won't read this CD or any other - whether Commercial Product or Home burnt??? There has to be something in the set up that is causing it not to be 'seen' as a CD drive?
    Well I would take it back if its under warranty and get another 1 or an ASUS.

If the replacement doesnt work, theres something wrong with your system.

Maybe the IDE connection is stuffed?? Maybe thats why the old burner wouldnt work?

Does the Pioneer appear in the BIOS? when u put it on auto?

Elite

It might be just a dud drive .. I have some DVD writers from new Acer PCs that mysteriously can't read CD-Rs for example but DVD-Rs and silver CDs are fine.

Try the drive in another system and see what happens.
    --
    Me pics

I tried it in my own system and it was still the same so it sounds like it is a problem with the drive. Thanks for your thoughts. Interesting that I have emailed Pioneer a week back and still haven't heard a dicky bird!