Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printer stains

Default Printer stains

My home laser printer, Brother HL-1430 has been printing since the last couple of weeks with two-three noticeable and a few tiny black spots.

Thought, it would be finished with some sheets but not so. Checked the outer areas except opening it to reach the printerhead. It still continues. Is there any clue someone can offer to find out the reasons & how I can solve it. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Printer stains

If the "spots" repeat in pattern down the page, then you have drum damage.

There is no "print head" in a laser, so not sure what you are meaning there.

The cheap Brother lasers often cost as much for a drum as a new printer, so think carefully before buying a drum.

Historically, when I used a Brother laser, it was only good for 2 toner refills before the drum started to deteriorate. Changed to an HP printer, where you get a new drum in every toner unit. Dearer refill costs, but it's still going like new after 6 years, at about 10,000 - 12,000 pages a year

Thanks GodFather. Of course I doubt about a printhead in a 'laser' but my preferred to be stupid rather than preteding to be a 'knower' of all!

OK. My printer was bought around two years ago but hasn't yet finished even 5000 A4 sheets with the first cartiridge! And there happened nothing for the drum to get damaged. Does it happen as it goes?

I thought Brother has a better product and price than the HP always high in price with less to offer. Will look for alternatives.

In my experience 5000 pages is about all I could get before the drum was munted (2 toner packs) and while Brother make good fax machines, their printers are cheap and at the bottom end of the line in terms of quality and longevity.

You really do get only what you pay for.

You wouldn't believe, I paid $299 for that machine. All are made in China incluidng all rubbish sold everywhere in this world, sucking the poor chinese people' ssweat and blood and cashing on the greedy Businessman's names. So I was really exploited and not got what I paid for. Thanks for your help.

You could buy a replacement here - presently up to $27
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/P...n-73810882.htm

But that's overpriced as well....

It's been said many a time before on this forum, and I will say it again : the purchase price of the printer is only the deposit. Given the cost of Brother consumables, you are much better off with a Canon or HP on a cost per page basis. Don't make the same mistake again.
    Andrew

The drums in these machines are good for 20,000 pages when using Brother toner. I've seen them with 40000 pages on them and they are still fine.
    Be careful what you load with your paper as crap can transfer from the paper to the drum easily.
    The drums can be sucessfully cleaned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    The drums in these machines are good for 20,000 pages when using Brother toner. I've seen them with 40000 pages on them and they are still fine.
    Be careful what you load with your paper as crap can transfer from the paper to the drum easily.
    The drums can be sucessfully cleaned as well.
    I know that's what they state, and I know that I only ever used Brother Toner, and clean quality paper.

But my results differed as above.

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I know that's what they state, and I know that I only ever used Brother Toner, and clean quality paper.

But my results differed as above.
    Thats a shame really as your experience isn't consistent with what we find.
    We have more issues with some of the other brand drums.

A very short drum life can indicate other issues like high voltage boards or dodgy contacts.