Default File refusing to die

Im fixing a computer for a friend of a friend and they have a file on it which cannot be deleted.
    In the context menu the only options are Preview, Edit, Print, Open with... and send to.
    the file is a 573kB jpeg and has a really long filename, many bunches of spaces and is sexually explicit.
    the image apparently doesnt open and even in safemode i cannot delete it.
    I was goign to make a new file with the same filename in another location and copy it over it, but the filename is so long and the ammount of spaces make it near imposible to guess.
    any ideas on how i coudl delete it, i told them if worst comes to worst ill just reinstall windows, but its just a file and i actually for once feel bad reinstalling windows for something so simple.

[edit]

I have until 6pm to fix the computer, so at 4:30 ill start reinstalling windows.

[edit]

ok, i managed to find the filename, i used the send to menu to make a shortcut do it on the desktop.
    it cut the end off but it was simple to copy that down.

"real homemade pic of girlfriend naked 05 keywords qwerty kdquality pussy ass teen pthc wife mature big small hot sex sexy girl woman huge oral private cum amateur **** bbw **** tiny little dirty naughty perfect perky.jpg"

i tried to create a new text file on the desktop with that filename and copy it over but this resulted in an error.

"Error Moving File or Folder"
    "Cannor move real homemade pic of girlfriend naked 05 keywords qwerty kdquality pussy ass teen pthc wife mature big small hot sex sexy girl woman huge oral private cum amateur **** bbw **** tiny little dirty naughty p: The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."

I am guessing that it may have been someones intent to cause a buffer overflow or something.
    Last edited by Mirddes; 29-09-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Have a great day.

Default Re: File refusing to die

Hi Mirddes,
    seeing no one has replied and your deadline looms- here is my pennyworth- and as I am very much an amateure -it may not help.
    I assume you have run spy bot and ad aware?- I have been scanning at least twice a week for these and usually get one critical, in Ad Aware ---Spy Bot also gets one in the twice a week scan--
    I am not counting my Nortons and sp firewall ,which should stop most viruses, a trojan can come in on the back of e mails etc., something must have been carried in
    effie c

***** - dave.net.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Mirddes View Post
    "The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."
    It sounds like you may have hit some file name length limit or similar... try to rename the file to something much shorter, like pic.jpg or similar, then try deleting it.

i cant rename it, the context menu doesnt have the option to and the file menu has no affect.
    If i understand correctly he got the file from limewire.
    i just ran a scan with avg 7.1 pro trial. came back clean.
    ill just run a scan with spybot and adaware, strangely it hadnt occured to me to use them, been soo long since ive installed them myself. common sense seems to be more effective.
    Have a great day.

***** - dave.net.nz

what if you find the file with explorer, click on it, and hit F2 on the keyboard?

Pedant and proud of it

If it's the only .jpg file in the directory (or if that can be arranged ), try opening a command window, CDing into the directory then give the DOS command: del *.jpg .

Or, move everything else in the directory to another place, then remove the directory.

That's quite a descriptive filename. They aren't being very secretive about it.
    Last edited by Graham L; 29-09-2006 at 02:32 PM.

***** - dave.net.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L View Post
    That's quite a descriptive filename. They aren't being very secretive about it.
    descriptive and confused...
    girlfriend/wife, mature/teen, big/small/huge/tiny/little girl/woman...

The rest kinda fit together

You can get rid of these from the command prompt. Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory where the file is, eg "C:\Downloads"

Then do a directory listing using the /X switch eg DIR /X
    Note the short filename eg RUDEFI~1.JPG
    rename the file eg REN RUDEFI~1.JPG SHORT.JPG
    delete SHORT.JPG in the usual way.

Hope this works for you.
    Last edited by BIFF; 29-09-2006 at 02:48 PM.

I know how just to fix this beast.....

Create a blank folder on you C drive and rename it 'Trash' so that its C:\Trash and then drag the file to it....

then download The Avenger to your Desktop and unzip it.

Copy all the text contained in the code box below ( including the words "Folders to delete:" ) by highlighting it and right clicking and selecting "Copy"

Folders to delete:
    C:\Trash
    Now, start The Avenger program by clicking on its icon on your desktop. Look under "Script file to execute" and click on "Input Script Manually". Next click on the Magnifying Glass icon and a blank dialogue box will open called "View/Edit script". Position your mouse inside the box, rightclick and choose Paste. All the text above in the code box should now appear there. Click Done and click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script. Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

The Avenger will restart your computer. (if the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)

When you have rebooted, a black command window briefly opens on your desktop, this is normal. A logfile will be created that records all actions that The Avenger performed. This log file is saved to C:\avenger.txt. The deleted files will be backed up and saved to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

Once your computer has rebooted, please post back the contents of C:\avenger.txt
    Last edited by Pancake; 29-09-2006 at 04:00 PM.

A Member of :
    UNITE & ASAP

Eddy