Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Best Self-Priming Exterior Acrylic?

Solarguard
    or
    British Paints 4 Seasons Exterior?

Both are self-priming and both have a 10yr guarantee. This is going on weatherboards.

Can't decide. The 4 Seasons is cheaper....

Default Re: Best Self-Priming Exterior Acrylic?

Ask the supplier if they have done any recent houses. Go to them and see what they look like. As they say, the proof is in the pudding
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Also ask the supplier if it will stand up to sub-zero temperatures for six months of the year, in the deep south !!!! PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

British Paints have an excellent reputation.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

I've personally painted a house with British Paints 4 Seasons Acrylic, and it's been great. This was done in late 2002, and to this date the paint is still showing no signs of peeling or anything like that (as one would hope). The exterior is stucco finished, and already had some existing (peeling) paint on it.

A previous house we painted with Dulux (the equivalent of their X10 product, but whatever it was called back in 1996), and that lasted very well too.

One thing I would like to say is to make sure you use the proper paint for the job. We were cheap, and bought some British Paints Steelite (designed for corrugated iron roofs), to do our steel guttering and our timber windows. The paint on the windows is already beginning to peel off, 4 years down the track, while the timber trim at the bottom of the window which we painted with British Paints 4 Seasons is still stuck solidly.

The best I have used is Dulux Timbacryl, or Resene Lustacryl, followed by Wattle Solarguard, then Taubmans Timbertop. British Paints follows those.

The above are all semigloss.

If you want gloss, go for Wattle Solarguard, but I believe the semigloss will last better.

Have used all the above, and Timbacryl has done 13 years with no flaking or peeling, just a clean down and another coat or two.

There is an exact corelation between price and quality, and when you have a very large 1890's weatherboaed villa, you want quality.

I researched this in the 90's and opted for Timbacryl, but used other brands in some places. The British Paints had a much shorter life.

Godfather, I think the gloss will last longer than the semi, as it will relect the heat/sun better. I agree with your list of paint order though. Did some commercial painting for a number of years with the old man.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

mikebartnz

Agrippa paints Thunder Gloss is the best paint for its price. I get it for just under $90 a 10Ltr. Lasts very well. Very similar to Solarguard. It is limited to tints from a white base though.

Ring a local painter and ask them, they know the climate and which paint preforms best in those conditions.

When you are finished I have house that needs painting too
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Budget is a consideration which is why we want to get it right first.
    Can't afford to fix it. But we have hestitated - as Godfather says, quality is important too. Don't want cheap and lasts 5 minutes either. Our weatherboards are in good condition and we'd like to keep them that way.

Very interesting comments so far. Husband wanted to do it in gloss, I have no idea....is it usual to have gloss outside? Does it matter?

One other thing, "everyone says" the windows themselves should be done in oil based. However I read a datasheet on BPs website last night and it says no, use acrylic - it is less subject to peeling and flaking later.
    I notice everyones windows round here are peeley, including ours.

It did say open and shut them often for a bit afterwards to prevent sticking, which is one reason we were originally going to do the windows in oil.