Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Telecom's full page BB ad Page A19....

Saw the ad in this morning's Herald, and apart from thinking it wasn't a bad bit of ad writing, quite amusing in fact, it struck me that we all might benefit immensely from their choice of wording.

The ad says that from 26 October, Telecom's wholesale and retail broadband customers will have their speed opened up to the max possible of 7.6Mbs. I am assuming that we plebs are the retail users.

The rest of the ad is the amusing stuff, but firstly, I noted no differentiation between upload and download speed, so by inference they will be the same.

Secondly, if you read the ad literally then all speed caps for all plans will be removed, but I suspect that throttled back plans will continue as at present so this is probably a Clayton's speed increase for most users and if you want to surf from the new top shelf you will have to pay their top whack.

Now, I have what Telecom many years ago chose to call their "Full Speed Jetstream" connection, which already runs at the present maximum, so when they implement this, my connection should leap up to 7.6Mbs.

My present connection does hit the max when traffic isn't too heavy, I am close to the exchange and have no line issues so there's no excuse for me not seeing 7.6Mbs.

That's the dream anyway, but I see a good argument coming after 26 October if I get a speed cap imposed, and I reckon it's eminently arguable from the simplistic wording and the one solitary condition (which states that "connection speeds will be as fast as your line allows and may not reach the maximum") that this step may open up a viable class-action fight for all BB users if they don't get the same unlimited speed connection.

What that will do for Telecom's pricing plans I don't know but in theory only data download caps will be left for them to use to differentiate their plans.

Can't wait to see how this pans out, because, you see, they left out those vital words "conditions apply".

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Last edited by Billy T; 16-09-2006 at 02:16 PM.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Default Re: Telecom's full page BB ad Page A19....

For the people who don’t buy the NZ Herald & only read it online....

Can any one who got today’s NZ Herald & have a scanner Please scan the ad & post it here?? as I think a few people will want to see it

I can just imagine the number of complaints on this forum when it happens. My guess is that it will be faster for most people at non-peak times, but like the 2MBit to 3.5MBit "upgrade" it will slow most people down at peak times.

The more speed you have, the more people use their connections for high bandwidth tasks, and unless existing infrastructure is upgraded significantly, I personally doubt it can cope with any more demand on resources (at least in my area).

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but as soon as the "faster, cheaper broadband" ads disappeared, people stopped complaining. Hopefully, for their own sake, Telecom will have learnt from this past experience what frustrates people and be a bit more careful about how they promote their new plans unless they are certain they can deliver 99% of the time.

From what I know of it, people on 3.5Mbps will got to "full-speed". And Telecom will no longer say you have a XXmbps plan - they will say you get what the equipment will give you.

This will stop all the complaints like they got with the 2Mbps to 3.5mbps increase.

And don't think being close has anything to do with it. My exchange coped well with 2Mbps but as soon as 3.5 was implemented everyone round here went to 600kbps instead....and I'm 400 metres from it.

Quote Originally Posted by stu161204 View Post
    Can any one who got today’s NZ Herald & have a scanner Please scan the ad & post it here?? as I think a few people will want to see it
    You'll need a bloody big scanner, it's a full page. Better somebody takes a digi photo and posts that.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    My exchange coped well with 2Mbps but as soon as 3.5 was implemented everyone round here went to 600kbps instead....and I'm 400 metres from it.
    Didn't make any difference to my speeds, and I'm a little over a kilometre away. Could depend on exchange loading I suppose, but I'm in an area with high BB uptake so I'd think the exchange was pretty well loaded.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Here you go... the Telecom ad in today's Weekend Herald.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1158/xtraadqg5.jpg
    Last edited by bonkiebonks; 16-09-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkiebonks View Post
    Here you go... the Telecom ad in today's Weekend Herald.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1158/xtraadqg5.jpg
    Thank you

Banned

Do we get a bigger bill payment when the new speed arrives? A little surprise or what? Or trying to squeeze more money out of consumers?

they are yet to say if we are going to get more data usage...7.6mbps...200mb..gone in 15 seconds???

honestly, this data cap BS is starting to piss me off..