Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Crusaders = Champions :D

Default Broadband Plans etc

Received my first bill today for homeline and broadband, $120.....argh!

Got me wondering, is tehre any sort of broadband plan I can go on that requires NO homeline? IE: Wireless but on PC....i've looked at xtra's but they're for laptops....

I'm deaf so absoulty dont need homeline, I've only got it so I can access broadband....and its a expense I wish I could be without...

Looked at telstra's homeline...$31 in cabled locations...47 in non cabled (Rotorua here)...or $26 if over 60 (wonder if I can pass for 60 yet haha i'm only 23)

**wishes I thought of something for dragons den about this...annette might have loved me**

Default Re: Broadband Plans etc

Quote Originally Posted by csinclair83 View Post
    Got me wondering, is tehre any sort of broadband plan I can go on that requires NO homeline?
    Not at the moment, but once Local Loop Unbundling comes in to effect some ISP's (like orcon) will offer Naked DSL i.e.: Broadband with out homeline

Hope this helps

thats gonna be 2-3 years away....

bring on naked dsl now!

Pedant and proud of it

And you will still be paying a rental on the wires. It costs money to provide and maintain wires.

They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

If that was your first month then it SHOULD be the setup fee (without knowing the full details of the bill) that caused the high charge, what ISP/plan are you on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Got me wondering, is tehre any sort of broadband plan I can go on that requires NO homeline? IE: Wireless but on PC....i've looked at xtra's but they're for laptops....
    Woosh.
    And Xtras Wireless broadband is not just for laptops, but it does have a $1475 installation cost.
    http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,87...202673,00.html

it was $120 for Homeline and broadband...and $10 of that was for mobile texts before I reverted the mobile to prepaid....i was asking because I wanted to see if there was a way to save $50 on the homeline as theres no reason why I need it apart from for broadband....

And xtra wireless will never have me as a customer with taht sort of installation pricetag...

Woosh isnt available here in rotorua.....they said late 2006....still waiting...
    guess i just gotta suck it up and get used to being ripped off....

Cant they use common sense and make a phone line plan for $20 a month...and any type of call off that line is $1 a call even if its to ur neigbour...only free calls are emergency and to the telecom line....i'd definately be one of the first customers on that!...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L View Post
    And you will still be paying a rental on the wires. It costs money to provide and maintain wires.
    I really don't know the details of the whole unbundling concept, but expect this will be the case. It does cost money to keep the lines in good condition after all.

I personally think that New Zealand's broadband prices are very comparable to mainstream US and UK ISPs, it's just that they don't provide the same value in terms of speed and data caps. So, in terms of value they are very expensive, but in terms of the dollar value you pay (if you isolate what you are actually getting for each dollar) they are similar.

I admire how optimistic some people are about the effect unbundling will have on pricing, but it is my expectation that it may improve what you get for each dollar (in terms of data transfer and speed provided the network is actually receives proper investment) but won't have a huge effect on the average monthly fee most people pay. However, competition from alternative technologies such as WiMAX may push prices down and allow you to get rid of your landline if you don't want it.

Y'arrr

Drop your line rental to Homeline Economy which shaves $20 odd a month off the cost.

You haven't said where you live so wireless coverage is kinda limited by that.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    You haven't said where you live so wireless coverage is kinda limited by that.
    Woosh isnt available here in rotorua.....they said late 2006....still waiting...