Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethernet

Default Ethernet

Need to be smarter. Bought a notebook yesterday to run a auto related software. I'd also like it to run some simple engineering/trig. stuff for work. It'd be easy to load one program if I could transfer it from my pc. Both units have an ethernet connection listed in Device manager. How do I get there from here? Thanks. Loren.

Default Re: Ethernet

You have to configure both then use a crossover cable or an ethernet hub for things to work.

Thumbs up Re: Ethernet

A bit more information required...

Do both PC's run windows XP, linux or other. Also do you have a Hub/Switch that you can plug the PC's into. If not then Speedys explanation is what you are going to haft to do. Go down to dick smith and grab a 1m cross over cable, plug the PC's in and run the networking wizard. Thats if your running XP that is. Other OS can be a bit more dificult. Let us know how you get on..
    Sometimes life doesnít fit inside a box, so donít be forced into one with uninformed decisions. Post a thread first.

you cant transfer an installed program......you'll need to install it on the puter you want it running on.....
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

The pc is XP and the laptop is 98SE. The laptop came with a network adapter looking cord, about 8" long with a big phone jack on it. The other end looks like a usb to me, and was connected to the comp. when I picked it up. It's a Compaq Armada 1700. Was $70 too much for it? It does need more RAM.
    Both comp. show the ethernet connection in device manager, doesn't that mean they're both configured?

Quote Originally Posted by Doggitter View Post
    Both comp. show the ethernet connection in device manager, doesn't that mean they're both configured?
    No that just means windows has detected and installed the drivers for both.

You'll still have to configure both and connect both with an ethernet cable or other to transfer between the 2.

There are a few networking guides available here that should point you in the right direction.

Ok, I started reading the network section of FAQ and wondering what does the network cord ends look like? Are they both big phone jacks or are they both usb like what was in the Compaq? It says to see if the comp has jacks???

Quote Originally Posted by Doggitter View Post
    I'd also like it to run some simple engineering/trig. stuff for work. It'd be easy to load one program if I could transfer it from my pc.
    Unless you are just transfering across user settings for that program, the program itself is unlikely to work if just copied across from one PC to another. It all depends upon how the program installs itself initially.

Hmm. Ok, I guess I'll not worry about the networking and try to get the internet connection set up so I can download it.