Default Biometric Software for Webcam

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a free program that uses your webcam for face recognition, possibly integrating for secure access (passwords, login), etc...?

I've just acquired a webcam, and while video capture is fun for a few minutes, I'm trying to think of a useful application - I've tried FaceCode, but it didn't seem to want to run - are there any alternatives?

Cheers

Lizard

Default Re: Biometric Software for Webcam

There would be some kind of software, but it'd be expensive.

And most probably be a bit too much for a home PC.

It'd be better if u get a fingerprint scanner. Altho some or most of these arent that reliable either.

Even if u did get some kind of face recognition software, it'd be a bit hard logging into windows when nothing is running. For the software to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
    There would be some kind of software, but it'd be expensive.

And most probably be a bit too much for a home PC.

It'd be better if u get a fingerprint scanner. Altho some or most of these arent that reliable either.

Even if u did get some kind of face recognition software, it'd be a bit hard logging into windows when nothing is running. For the software to run.
    You're probably right - I just figured with all the gadgets available these days, biometric face recognition would have been a dead cert...

If anyone has any ideas though... it's not critical, just a bit of fun...

It is possible to run software without being logged into windows, but it has to be a service designed to run in such a manner.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Pedant and proud of it

The US department of paranoid Internal inSecurity has tried out face recognition stuff at some airports. Multi millions of dollars later, it doesn't work.

You want a useful application for computer hardware? Haven't you realised yet that computers aren't meant to be useful?.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L View Post
    The US department of paranoid Internal inSecurity has tried out face recognition stuff at some airports. Multi millions of dollars later, it doesn't work.

You want a useful application for computer hardware? Haven't you realised yet that computers aren't meant to be useful?.
    Well.... maybe I should have said "useful" The most common use of a webcam seems to be for teleconferencing or similar. I don't have much need for that - but playing around with biometrics might be interesting...

As for the US sinking millions of dollars into face recognition - sounds like a nice challenge: do what the US can't with millions of dollars, with a free webcam and some open-source software? There's bound to be something out there... are you telling me all the home geniuses devoting millions of hours to utilising all that processing power and they haven't devised a simple programme to recognise faces?