Lightbulb Do we really need Traffic lights ?

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHx3SRpRXU

Video is about 10mins

Default Re: Do we really need Traffic lights ?

That's amazing.

I've got to admit, sometimes at night, sitting at a red with nobody in sight, it's very tempting to just keep going .... but I don't.

I never suspected that no-lights would really work.
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Sounds good in theory. I suspect it wouldn't work.

If the lights at a busy intersection aren't working, what do you do? Approach slowly and carefully and look arpound before moving off.

What if it was all the time? You'd get used to it and not be extra careful. And this shows busy intersections, you can't exactly come screaming up and top speed anyway. But what about smaller places with non-busy intersections? Lights came about because if travelling fairly fast you don't always see approaching cars until the last minute.

traffic lights are also about traffic management. ie they stop traffic and hold them at one intersection the the rest of the roads downstream don't clog up with cars and grind to a halt.

also if you removed traffic lights there are some intersections you would never ever get out of due to the other traffic which as right of way.

if you removed all traffic lights auckland would simply grind to a halt.
    Tweak it till it breaks

I also believe many people would start to get used to the freedom and start to get overconfident (wreckless). And as pointed out there are certain intersections were it wouldn't work.

A reduction in lights with more stop signs and roundabouts I believe is a good thing.

With out current technology we should have smarter lights that give you a green when you approach even if it wasn't your turn if there is no car coming the other way etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Battleneter
    I also believe many people would start to get used to the freedom and start to get overconfident (wreckless). And as pointed out there are certain intersections were it wouldn't work.

A reduction in lights with more stop signs and roundabouts I believe is a good thing.

With out current technology we should have smarter lights that give you a green when you approach even if it wasn't your turn if there is no car coming the other way etc.
    We will probably see stuff like that in new traffic lights, but it would be uneconomical to add that feature to all existing traffic lights unless it can be proved that doing so will dramatically reduce the number of people running red lights.

They effects of traffic lights are riduclously over the top. "We can save the enviroment!"

It seems like the traffic lights in London are riduclously inefficent or footage is selectively chosen. Most traffic lights seem to have sensing methods and display green according. Few times do you really wait at a red with no-one else going, and most of these times would be a result of pedisterians pressing the "walk" button, then leaving.

Interesting idea nonetheless, and it may be more effective in some areas, but a blanket no-lights policy would likely fail, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Battleneter
    I also believe many people would start to get used to the freedom and start to get overconfident (wreckless).

I think you mean reckless?

Wreck-less is what the lights are intended to cause.....

Quote Originally Posted by pctek

I think you mean reckless?

Wreck-less is what the lights are intended to cause.....
    Perhaps he is expecting the cars to collide at such speed that it will create a fireball hot enough to destroy any trace of the offending vehicles?

The video certainly opened up very interesting points but whilst I don't agree with getting rid of traffic lights entirely I do like the thought of driving without the damn things. However, consider the following:

1. Roads we use in cities are generally too narrow for today's traffic volumes. Notice the narrow roads in London on the video.

2. Traffic lights work by sensing vehicles using a coil buried under the road, this then starts a timing circuit. As already stated, very inefficient.

3. The video seems to suggest we all use our heads and manners in situations without traffic lights. Why then, do most accidents happen at uncontrolled intersections?

4. New Zealand traffic lights go to all flashing red mode should something crap out, this warns drivers to approach with caution.

5. Improve the roads and you get even more cars on it. A lesson Auckland is about to discover.

6. Most cars have only one passenger. This is a mind-set all of us will have to change in the future.

7. Officials want us to use public transport but here in New Zealand it is tremendously run down and struggles with the burden in peak times already.

8. There never is enough money in the public purse to fix the real problems on our roads, getting rid of traffic lights won't do it, so get used to them!!

BURNZEE
    Last edited by Burnzee; 21-08-2006 at 11:26 AM.