Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What Linux should I download?

Hey,

I've just come back from the library and I got a great book out on Linux. It includes a bootable trial disc that I'm going to try now.

I think I might install Linux on a seperate partion to Windows and I was just wondering what Linux you would recommend. The author recommends Mandrake but the book got published in 2004.

Thanks in advance,

~Matt :-)

Default Re: What Linux should I download?

To be brutally honest- none, unless you just want to 'play around with it' and not have it as your main opsys.

Also be careful installing Linux, myself at least had Windows stuffed that way.

If you 'must' have a go Ubuntu is supposed to be an easy starter, you might be better to try a live CD first so you don't screw anything up.
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Over 65

matty3
    Greetings. Some versions of Linux (eg Mepis and Knoppix) can be run as a Live CD. That means you just put them in the CD drive and reset. Each can then run without upsetting your Hard drive partitions. You can experiment, connect to the web and so on. At the end of that experimentation period, when you log off, your computer is back running windows again.

Of those two, (and there may be others) Mepis then allows you to install to a partition on your hard disk. It has a built in partition manager so you can set up the necessary partitions without disturbing Windows. At the end of all of that, you will have the ability to dual boot ie either Windows or Linux.

Asking Linux users which is the best version to install is rather like asking a real car nut what is the best make. You will never get a Ford fan to advocate Holden and viceversa.

I have tried Mandrake (now called Mandriva) but didn't like it. I have also tried two versions of Knoppix - but only as the Live CD's that they are designed to be. A couple of versions of Mepis have been used. Years ago, I tried Corel linux but couldn't make any headway with it.

I have settled on Xandros and am currently using Xandros 3.0 Deluxe. However, a later version X4 was released in June. The download ones of X3 are free (called Open Circulation Edition or OCE). The Deluxe or Business editions have to be paid for. I now have no Windows on my computer and don't miss it at all.

If you have a look on Trademe, and search for any version eg Mepis, you will find a guy in Palmy advertising heaps of varieties. I have dealt with him and no problems. You can for example, get Xandros 3.02 OCE for $5 post free from him. But he has plenty there to choose from.

Happy hunting.

Jim

Why pay for linux? its supposed to be free you can order copys for free from http://shipit.ubuntu.com , http://shipit.kubuntu.com , http://shipit.edubuntu.com and yes they do send to NZ
    gon smewere beta dan hear

This may be of help as well: What distribution will suit me.

I also would not install the library book CD edition, as it is quite out of date now. You should be able to find more recent Linux books in the library, or they can order them in for you.

Quote Originally Posted by matty3
    Hey,

I've just come back from the library and I got a great book out on Linux. It includes a bootable trial disc that I'm going to try now.

I think I might install Linux on a seperate partion to Windows and I was just wondering what Linux you would recommend. The author recommends Mandrake but the book got published in 2004.

Thanks in advance,

~Matt :-)
    Go for a distribution that has very good documentation and a large, active and helpful community. You will need them. These requirements all fit Ubuntu. It also appears to be very beginner-friendly in its approach. It also has a solid basis - Debian. It is therefore very stable and secure.

Just don't go thinking that Linux is Windows and expect to do things exactly as you would in Windows. You will be setting yourself up for frustration and failure. But if you persist, you will find it rewarding.

Hi
    I tried 2 live cd versions but found them to be sloooow and not easy to use.
    I then got ( a highly recomended ) version of Fedors 4 and over a couple of days managed to completly trash my windows 2k install.
    I know stick with the devil I know until I get an old spare machine.
    Good luck, you may need it !
    Cheers,

Ubuntu has one thing going for it.... marketing
    It has been marketed as THE replacement to Windows (although personally I think its crap). Xandros makes a better replacement IMHO
    But, I would follow the above suggestions and get a LiveCD to play round with first. Last time I looked, Mepis looked great and responded better. And its a LiveCD too . It is kinda based on Ubuntu (mainly the packages (applications you download and install with the help of the Package Manager)), but I think a marked improvement on it.

But... each to their own...
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Because the guy in the book reccomends Mandrake I might have a look at that and just see.

Thanks for all your help,

~matt :-)

Quote Originally Posted by matty3
    Because the guy in the book reccomends Mandrake I might have a look at that and just see.

Thanks for all your help,

~matt :-)
    Good move, Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) is my favourite Linux disto. I'm currently running 2006.0 and 2007.0 will be out in a few weeks.

You can order the "Power Pack" version which comes with all the non-free license stuff preconfigured for you from www.lsl.com.au. For about $35 + shipping you can get the Power Pack DVD and an errata DVD with all the updates released since 2006.0. Saves you a big download.

Once you get used to Linux you'll love it. Linux Rocks!