Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Default Re: bittorrent downloads (PORTS OPEN!)

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Frost
    I know several people on Xtra that get full speed on Decent private sites and of course crap speeds on public ones like everybody else.
    Exactly, I have seen this too, have had it happen to me for that fact... although, I have come across the odd public tracker that gets a lot of speed (it was my connection limiting it )
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by The_End_Of_Reality
    Exactly, I have seen this too, have had it happen to me for that fact... although, I have come across the odd public tracker that gets a lot of speed (it was my connection limiting it )
    Yea I agree, the odd public tracker (or specific torrent) is good, but 95%+ will give you crap speed of 30KB/s or less.

Public or private tracker should always be the first question asked in threads like this.

I found with Xtra most torrents were pretty good (using Azureus).
    Have changed ISPs (Slingshot) and also torrent clients recently (ktorrent 2beta).
    Got real slow speed (but I am thinking this is the client rather than the ISP). Have changed back to an upgraded Azureus, and will find out for sure
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz
    I found with Xtra most torrents were pretty good (using Azureus).
    Have changed ISPs (Slingshot) and also torrent clients recently (ktorrent 2beta).
    Got real slow speed (but I am thinking this is the client rather than the ISP). Have changed back to an upgraded Azureus, and will find out for sure

It is more likely to be your torrent tracker, clients make stuff all difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Battleneter
    It is more likely to be your torrent tracker, clients make stuff all difference.
    Yeah, I was wondering that. The reason I didnt stay with that client though was that it wouldnt limit uploads properly (it was beta so these things are likely) I dont mind sharing, but when uploads bypasses downloads by ~2:1 it then becomes a problem.
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Unless your ISP has put you in an IP pool that restricts torrents or something similar I doubt it would be your ISP. The main issues with torrent speeds are the bandwidth of the seeders, and your share rating (how much you in turn upload to other users).

Remember, that more seeders for that particular torrent doesnt necessarily mean faster speeds, its all proportional to how many leechers there are and your upload speed.

O and btw. I used Azerus beta when torrents first hit the scene and then later on uTorrent, but last 8 months or so I've gone back to a program I used for a little while called Bit Tornado. It doesnt have many of the features of the other 2 but it always gets the job done and I've had no hassles with it EVER. And really, you dont need most of the features torrent clients give you. Just get it going, go to sleep, wake up, and waalaa....
    Last edited by systm; 04-08-2006 at 09:50 AM.

I mostly agree with you Systm

Your comments are correct when relating to Public trackers, many are faster the faster you share (however still generally slow). Private tracker sites with Ratios' makes no difference, basically no one limits there speed as its pointless.

Even on ISP that do Shape (limit) like Orcon it is still possible to get 200KB/s+ on private torrents during peak times.

As for clients I get full speed on private sites using Azerus, Utorrent or Bitcomet, makes no difference apart from features (assuming they are configured correctly), and technically it shouldn't matter.