Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    They call me David... The_End_Of_Reality's Avatar

Default Limiting Bandwidth...

Hey Peps

I have a problem, I will be the first to admit it I download too much, Game demos, trailers, etc... and go over my monthly cap (10Gb) very quickly. I have searched and Googled, and all the rest, what I want is a program that will limit the bandwidth to say... 300Mb per day... are there any freeware programs (maybe any programs) that can do this?

Or maybe even how I will be able to make one using VB...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's a harddrive you idiot!

Default Re: Limiting Bandwidth...

I think there is an ISP called Actrix limits your daily usage for you.

http://www.actrix.co.nz/domestic/highspeed/cyberjet.php

Ah, I see, I don't want to change ISP's as this is not my account (parents)

EDIT: Oh, and I only want to limit the one machine... not all on the network

I am guessing your parents are with Xtra. There are several ISP's that offer more data cap around 20 gig for the "same price", Ihug,Slingshot,Telstras new DSL packages.

I have no idea why people don't shop around for broadband and simply go Xtra for no good reason, its actually really bizzare.

Would you parents pay $4 a litre for petrol if the service station next door was selling it for $1.80?.

morgenmuffel

There are a few packages out there that will do that, although most that i have seen limit the speed of the specific computer not the amount downloaded

I don't know any others off hand that are free but

i just checked on Google with the following terms and heaps came up

bandwidth limiting software page 2 is actually better on this search as it tends to be geek forums discussing the software, so you actually get honest-ish opinion rather than marketing hype

there were a few "trial" versions in there

http://www.softperfect.com/products/...h-limiting.htm

actually looked good, but only a months free trial
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Netlimiter

Limits specfic programs or the entire connection on the PC

I.E
    Limit utorrent to 50KB/s
    Internet Explorer not limited.

Been using it for years, I advise version 1.3. Hate the new version 2.0 seems sluggish and bloated.

Quote Originally Posted by Battleneter
    I have no idea why people don't shop around for broadband and simply go Xtra for no good reason, its actually really bizzare.

Would you parents pay $4 a litre for petrol if the service station next door was selling it for $1.80?.
    Oh? You think its that much different?

http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp...type=testtable

Doesn't look that way to me. A small difference and most require you to shift phone services to them as well. Thats not always practical for some people for various reasons.

Besides, lets look at my situation. 3.5Mbps, 10Gb. Since it went to 3.5 speed has been rubbish. Well Xtra refund me each month. Because they know its their equipment thats the problem.

So free rubbish broadband. Now if I was with another ISP, what would I get? Them telling me its Telecoms fault and no refund.

When Telecom causes even more of a problem with the next "speed increases" and changes their small print to get rid of the need to refund, then I might look at someone else but then again, maybe not too.

Xtra receives Telecom DSL as a Layer 3 service, whereas wholesale providers get it as a Layer 2 Tunnelled Protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by The_End_Of_Reality
    I download too much

what I want is a program that will limit the bandwidth to say
    How about willpower?

Battleneter - They don't want more bills, I know that others are better, but do you think I can get that through?... No... I might have another go tonight.

Nigel - I saw that one, but the problem with that is, the setup I am using is, ADSL modem (DSL-30gv2) Router (Linksys WRT54GL) and then the individual PCs, I have no gateway PC...

MF - Limiting specific programs is what I would like to do, but not neccesary, the whole connection will be ok. but what it must be able to do is limit the amount, not the speed...

pctek - I must get onto them, as I am not getting my full speed either, I am only getting 2Mb, which is still better than some people...

WHAT??!! willpower??? that is a bit like (this is probably not a very good example... but...) telling a boy racer not to go and race, but he will anyway AND I have tried

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

OK so what happens when you realise that you can't wait any longer for a download. There's no point in limiting how much you can download from a single machine if you're not planning to curb your downloading.

The best solution is to get a higher cap. I pay $59.95/month and I get 30GB of international traffic, national traffic is free. I usually average between 12 and 15GB (highest I've been is 18GB) but it sure beats running @ 56K.

Shop around and you will find a better deal. There are far more better ISP's than Xtra... you just need to look.

Cheers

chiefnz

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M