Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: NZ'S Broadband Future Is Fibre

While i'd be surprised if wireless ever matched the peformance of fibre cables, the benefits of wireless over fiber cables is far more noticable to the majority of people. (Note that im talking about upcoming wls technology, not the stuff out today.)

The freedom of wireless will result in something along the lines of subsricption based on demand package of music, movies and tv shows with the entire catalog avaliable anywhere on your mobile phone. Along with cheaper voice calls (VoIP over wireless) and portable multiplayer gaming. Not to mention the basic "information anywhere" factors of being able to access the internet at high speeds on your mobile or laptop anywhere.

Compare that to the constraints (and expense) of fiber cables and many people may not see the (unnessecarily) fast speeds and lower latency as quite so important.
    Last edited by imarubberducky; 02-08-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Certainly wireless has a solid future with convergence devices and mobile device technology, no argument.

It is unlikely wireless will ever match the latency of cable, simply put real time applications such as gaming (now bigger than the movie industry) and business apps such as remote sites will always be better on cable, making it a preferred solution for fix location broadband businesses and home.

Wireless is also far less reliable, it is not acceptable for Auckland to have major broadband disruption in a storm (actually it may be acceptable in Auckland but not in CHCH or Welly) lol. This single issue alone is unavoidable with wireless and probably always will be as the signals travel through the air (obviously).

Wireless has the same types of limitations as satellite broadband, but will coexist well with what ever fixed line solution NZ goes with and ones hopes that's fibre, not DSL.

Pedant and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by battleneter
    What the hell are you talking about ...
    What the hell are you talking about, "battleneter"? I was talking about the facts of the matter. You appear to dislike that, then say effectively what I said in my second paragraph.

It's always a good idea to read to the end of a posting before reacting to it. It's often a good idea read it again, to make quite sure you have understood what has been said, so that you know what you are rejecting.

Saturn saved quite a lot of money by putting some of their cables overhead. But they still ran out of money, long before the job was done. Duplicating infrastructure is not economic. It is unlikely to ever be economic.

People cheered when Australian airlines were allowed to fly domestic routes in NZ. The much wanted "competition" was obtained by having two airlines losing lots of money, doing stupid things like serving meals on a 1/2 hour flight. Ansett went broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L
    What the hell are you talking about, "battleneter"? I was talking about the facts of the matter. You appear to dislike that, then say effectively what I said in my second paragraph.

It's always a good idea to read to the end of a posting before reacting to it. It's often a good idea read it again, to make quite sure you have understood what has been said, so that you know what you are rejecting.

Saturn saved quite a lot of money by putting some of their cables overhead. But they still ran out of money, long before the job was done. Duplicating infrastructure is not economic. It is unlikely to ever be economic.

People cheered when Australian airlines were allowed to fly domestic routes in NZ. The much wanted "competition" was obtained by having two airlines losing lots of money, doing stupid things like serving meals on a 1/2 hour flight. Ansett went broke.

Not sure what you mean I read your entire post and my reply stands.

Keep in mind Teltstra had the money and the will to cable Auckland, they did however require Auckland (with its population) to achieve cable profitability. No Auckland no profitability, cable expansion died for the whole country.

But I am sure Aucklanders are enjoying Telecoms wonderful ADSL, so there is no problem right Thank god they don't have those ugly cables. Nice to see the Auckland city council allowing the real useful and pretty (not) SKY Tower and denying world class broadband lol, kinda gets more funny the more ya think about it.

Talking Re: NZ'S Broadband Future Is Fibre

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned Wellingtons fiber network.... They're rather proud of it, and it's been there so long now that the Museum on the waterfront has a year devoted to that achievement.

Come on Wellingtonians, here's a chance to brag about your city

Quote Originally Posted by personthingy
    I'm surprised no-ones mentioned Wellingtons fiber network.... They're rather proud of it, and it's been there so long now that the Museum on the waterfront has a year devoted to that achievement.

Come on Wellingtonians, here's a chance to brag about your city
    We are talking residential broadband, commercial broadband is an entirely different issue, there are a number of incredibly fast commercial fibre connection in Auckland Well CHCH and Dunedin. A fibre backbone runs the length of the country, doesn't mean you at home can connect to it. In other words no fibre to the residential areas (or fibre coax)

lol Yes if I had 1.2 billion dollars I could lay my own fibre all the way to the West coast of the States, not cheap but I could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Battleneter
    lol Yes if I had 1.2 billion dollars I could lay my own fibre all the way to the West coast of the States, not cheap but I could do it.
    Cheap at half the price, but why to the states? we all ready have that, and a link to asia would offer better redundancy.

Cheap at half the price, but why to the states? we all ready have that, and a link to asia would offer better redundancy.

Good thinking, ill definately have a close look at that, however I still got a little more saving to do!