Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MTV Generation

Arrow NZ'S Broadband Future Is Fibre

With reference to Juha Saarinen's article:

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf...2571B6007B8891

The bandwidth which DSL technologies can deliver over a telephone line falls off sharply with distance. For example, ADSL2+ can deliver its maximum of 24Mb only within 300 metres of the telephone exchange. Bandwidth continues to fall with distance dropping to 8Mb at most by 3000 metres (roughly 10,000 feet).For example, only 5% of end users have local loops of 1200 metres or less, 45% have 3km or less, and 85% are within 5km.

Telecom fell asleep at the starting gates back in 2001 when the rest of the OECD was already on some form of DSL.We know that we are 5 years behind the rest, and 'yet to finish the race' where ADSL+ [24mb] is the natural upgrade path from current ADSL [8mb].Sadly for N.Z tho.The rest of the OECD is starting in the FTTC [fibre to the cabinet] race which N.Z has not entered into.No surprise there.At All!.

This means that the stop gap filler of DSL on "P" with it's inherent
    congestion and loss of speed over distance will have to suffice, whilst the rest of the OECD bathes in 50mb+ up/down Unlimited Fibre Broadband.

Time will tell how competitive Telecom will be with the current unrestrained ADSL [8mb] service planned for September ,as compared to Pipex in the U.K.At a cost of $80.00 N.Z for 'up to 8mb' unlimited inclusive of voice line.

http://www.pipex.co.uk/ourpackages/bundles.php

The future is fibre in this country and the sooner the better.Should TelstraClear make plans for a FTTC [fibre to the cabinet] investment in N.Z in 2007/2008, this would see Telecom bring forward it's plans to roll-out fibre in this country planned for 2012.Could this mean we actually keep up with developments in OECD broadband technology??.

Hell!!.That would put N.Z broadband users into a permanent catatonic state!.
    Personal Quote: The world is moving so fast these days, that the person that saiz it can't be done, is soon passed by someone actually doing it.

Default Re: NZ'S Broadband Future Is Fibre

Argh! Im too impatient. Want faster, cheaper now now now.
    OS X + Ubuntu + Windows | www.twitter.com/jeremybank

I want better upload speeds now

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    The future is fibre in this country and the sooner the better.Should TelstraClear make plans for a FTTC [fibre to the cabinet] investment in N.Z in 2007/2008, this would see Telecom bring forward it's plans to roll-out fibre in this country planned for 2012.Could this mean we actually keep up with developments in OECD broadband technology??.
    Having done nothing after Wgtn and ChCh why would TestraClear start making plans now? They seem quite happy reselling Telecom.

AFAIK Telecom had plans to have replaced its existing PSTN by around 2012 which included plans for FTTC starting well before then.

"To get the promised 8Mbit/s performance of ADSL1 and 24Mbit/s of ADSL2+, customers need to have very short lines less than one kilometer."

Well thats drivel. Theres more to it than distance. I am 400 metres and when it was 2Mbps I got 2Mbps. Now that its 3.5Mbps I get about 600kps.

So if it goes to 8Mbps, I give up and use dial up???

Telstra won't do anything. Look at how loved they are in Aussie.
    Noone else has the money.

Slightly OT, I have been forced to deal with a few Woosh installations lately. They now offer 1.6Mps. SO I thought I'd do a few tests on those too.
    Hah! 600-700kps.

But Woosh always did suck.
    Oh and the guy I tested is line of sight with the tower and had a good strong signal.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek
    Well thats drivel. Theres more to it than distance. I am 400 metres and when it was 2Mbps I got 2Mbps. Now that its 3.5Mbps I get about 600kps.

So if it goes to 8Mbps, I give up and use dial up???
    Your problem is probably because every exchange in the deep south is daisy chained onto the same piece of wet string back to Christchurch. If and when they fix that your actual line won't be a problem

Banned

Don't forget vodafone's HSDPA by the end of the year. They'll be offering 3G usb modems for pc's and u'll be able to get 3.5Mbps then fast speeds later on. So if u have cellphone coverage you'll be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD
    Your problem is probably because every exchange in the deep south is daisy chained onto the same piece of wet string back to Christchurch. If and when they fix that your actual line won't be a problem

Invercargills exchange is OK according to Winston001 and Greven.
    But mine and the next one up the road are "dasiychained" back to Invercargill. And who knows how many more along that 42km.....

Quote Originally Posted by lance4k
    Don't forget vodafone's HSDPA by the end of the year. They'll be offering 3G usb modems for pc's and u'll be able to get 3.5Mbps then fast speeds later on. So if u have cellphone coverage you'll be sweet.
    Who in their rite mind would use a USB modem??
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by pctek

Invercargills exchange is OK according to Winston001 and Greven.
    But mine and the next one up the road are "dasiychained" back to Invercargill. And who knows how many more along that 42km.....
    Have you thought of moving to Auckland PCtek? It's SUCH a lovely city
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock