Thread: Outlook & Xtra

Default Outlook & Xtra

I am unable to use my Outlook 2003 to received emails from my Xtra email account, from overseas- I'm now in Singapore. Here is the error message:

"Task POP3.xtra.co.nz Receiving reported error (0x80042108); Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server Administrator or ISP ..."

I can use Xtra's webmail to receive and send emails without any problem.

Can any one help?

Cheers

Default Re: Outlook & Xtra

Check that your POP address is correct and that your firewall isn't blocking port 110.

This is MS generic answer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;318790

However as your location also suggests (logically) that you are not connecting using Xtra as your ISP, you may be further prevented unless you have requested "secure remote email"
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,11954,00.html

This would not prevent the use of the webmail interface, but you will be unable to use POP3 unless its enabled (at a cost of $2.50 per month) when trying to access it from another network, as you will be in Singapore.

I doubt u can access it from overseas.

Use webmail on the Xtra site. If Xtra supports Webmail. See if it works.

Speedy, if you read his post he clearly states he can access Xtra Webmail interface now.

If you read mine and the link given ,you will understand that you can use it from overseas.

vis: "It's ideal if you're out and about, working overseas or from another office and - because it's secure - you'll have efficiency and peace of mind."

Xtra is the only NZ ISP I know of that will not allow POP3 access when connected to another network. Other ISP's don't have this annoying restriction.

Can't believe Xtra charge for secure authentication. Usually if the ISP supports it, it is only a matter of changing the mail client to the SSL settings for it to work.
    Well then again maybe I am not really surprised at what Xtra does to make life difficult for their customers.
    Last edited by Safari; 17-07-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Safari, I could write a chapter on this.

I had to threaten a Commerce Commission escalation before I could get access from another network, so don't be surprised. They were withholding the Remote Mail as a solution for me even though I was directly requesting it by name and it was advertised on their webpage.

They enabled the block without any notification (this was a year or two back), so what used to work suddenly didn't. At that time I needed to access it from the GSM/GPRS/021 network, they were insistent I had to change to 027, nothing else would work.

After notifying them of my intention to immediately escalate to ComCom, I was put on hold for a few minutes, then informed it would be enabled. It was enabled in less than 5 minutes. Even Vodafone had previously given up by then, telling me that Xtra would not allow access for any of their similarly affected customers.

If you do use your ISP Webmail, it is worthwhile setting it up so that a copy of all emails received are auto-forwarded onto a gmail account. This means you will not run out of storage space if you are unable to download large emails. The gmail (or similar) account also serves as a backup for accessing sent emails. I did this when I was overseas earlier and it came in handy for when my ISP webmail access was blocked due to the IP of the internet cafe being on the blacklist for spamming. Struck this several times during my travels. I was able to access gmail every time OK.

I have an auto forward of every incoming email set up, have done since I got a Gmail address early on.

It means I can access my "inbox" equivalent from any web enabled PC, anywhere.

One odd thing though, when an incoming attachment was bounced by Xtra because it was too large, it was still forwarded to Gmail. It must forward, then test and bounce. Has been very useful for large attachments, but now that Xtra have upped the ante to 20 MB file size and 100 MB mailbox for me, less essential.

I wish to thank you all for the views and suggestions.

Just for your info, Broadband over here in Singapore is so cheap that it's just hard to believe it's true: Unlimited download, 6.5 mbps speed, 1 year contract, free Linksys wireless router with either USB wireless receiver or wireless PCMCIA card, free PDA worh S$980.00. ... the whole lot for just S$65.00 per month, no connection charges, no other hidden costs ..

It's almost free!