Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Winxp pro boot from cd problem

Hey guys,

I'm trying to format and reinstall XP pro and it detects the dvd drives but wont detect the cd in the DVD drives, It bypasses the boot from cd and boots from the hard drive because when it auto checks for a cdrom it finds nothing. I've tried to change the boot sequence in the bios by disabling everthing except boot from cd and it says it cant find the cd and that i need to insert the system disk or something. The cd is the same cd i previously used to install Winxp originally on this computer and it detected the winxp cd fine then.
    And I can use the dvd drives when in winxp, Anyone got any ideas or solutions?

Thank you,
    Mateo.

Default Re: Winxp pro boot from cd problem

Hi, Welcome to PressF1

As it worked before, start with the basics and make sure the CD is clean from marks and scratches by giving it a good clean with a soft cloth. Then try it again.

The cd is spotless but i cleaned it anyway,
    Still same prob.

What happens when you put that CD in the drive whilst in Windows? Does it autorun and give you a menu?

What about other bootable CDs? Do they not run either?

Vistra Computers

Try Windows XP PRO Boot disks (5 Floppies). Available from Micorosoft.
    MY BEAST
    ASUS M2N32-SLI DLX, AMD64 FX62 2x AM2 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR2800 DC, 3TB + EXTRA, 2xLEADTEL GF7950GX2 1GB PCIE, 2x 21"LCD, BLASTER X-FI ELITE PRO, CREATIVE 300W 7.1, CUSTOM TTake (WATER COOLING), THERMALTAKE650 (690W), ASUS DRW-1604P.

also dunno if you noticed but it wont boot all by itself from cd......it'll pop a message up saying 'press any key to boot from cd.......'
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

The autorun runs in XP and i dont have any other bootable cd's.
    No i have never had press any key to boot from disc it always does it by itself.
    First the Memory screen where you can press del to go into the bios then it has the next screen where you can press f8 to choose safe mode options, and on this screen it says "Boot from CD:" and then this disapears and it continues loading xp from the hard drive. Last time when It when it worked I came to the second screen it stopped loading and brought up a menu instead of loading from the hard drive.

What the hell is a floppy?
    Last edited by Mateo; 15-07-2006 at 01:30 AM.

Peripatetic member

Sorry, I can't help with your problem.
    It's your last question that intrigues me.
    I'm gobsmacked that someone as obviously computer-literate as you doesn't know what a floppy is.

(So are you having us on or are you young?)

A floppy disc is basically an earlier version of a CD.
    The technical types here would no doubt criticise my definition if they were awake (and can still do that tomorrow) but that's the simple version.
    The disks are rectangular, not circular. And they're actually hard, not floppy.Someone else can tell you why ...

My computer has the slot to play them in... as my A Drive.., but recently manufacturers haven't included those unless requested. It's a smaller compartment below the CD/DVD one.

God luck with the problem & welcome to Press F1.

Edit: And I forgot to say that floppies can still be invaluable for many things - like creating a boot disk.
    Last edited by Laura; 15-07-2006 at 02:21 AM.

well mate I'm a tech and I've booted I dunno how many pc's from teh xp cd and it always gives you the 'press any key to boot from cd' option on no matter which puter I've ever done it on.........
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by drcspy
    well mate I'm a tech and I've booted I dunno how many pc's from teh xp cd and it always gives you the 'press any key to boot from cd' option on no matter which puter I've ever done it on.........
    I agree, which is why I asked about other bootable CDs. It appears to me that his DVD drive or computer isn't giving him the option to press a key, it just goes straight into Windows but used to give the option to boot from the CD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Last time when It when it worked I came to the second screen it stopped loading and brought up a menu instead of loading from the hard drive.
    I would suggest checking the CD with CD Check and if that gives the all-clear then try another bootable CD. You can make one with MemTest86+.

Let us know how you get on.